MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Talkingreds,net
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I will shortly be moving a forum to MyBB, as I couldn't find a suitable theme, or afford another custom theme, I had to dive in and do my own, this is my first attempt so be kind.

Please comment on the theme, the layout etc, I need some feedback before I go live with it.

[attachment=28317]
This should have been posted in the themes development section, not here.

As for the theme, I find it very cluttered and it's very obnoxious how everything is rounded. 80% of the layout is just floating text/boxes; especially the welcomeblock, what's with that?
The background image is HUGE, that needs to go.
There is nothing salvageable about this. Better to use a stock free theme and just change the logo.
(2013-01-14, 10:43 PM)Spangle Wrote: [ -> ]I will shortly be moving a forum to MyBB, as I couldn't find a suitable theme, or afford another custom theme, I had to dive in and do my own, this is my first attempt so be kind.

Please comment on the theme, the layout etc, I need some feedback before I go live with it.
Hmm I guess some people are not ready for skeleton themes yet. Big Grin

(2013-01-14, 11:06 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]The background image is HUGE, that needs to go.

I never really thought of it as huge, maybe because I'm a United fan, would it look better is it was toned down a little ?

(2013-01-14, 11:27 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]There is nothing salvageable about this. Better to use a stock free theme and just change the logo.

The problem with that it, stock themes are the wrong red, everything is salvageable Confused

It's more of a first draft that the finished article!!
@ Spangle - as you probably realised editing the theme and so on, color is in fact the easiest thing to change. There are some really lovely free themes out there that you can edit.

My advice - if you don't mind me offering it - is to look about at some nice free themes and edit the color sets.

Block and blue is lovely but since all the harajuju wanna-haves are downloading it it is becoming a little common, though still a great theme.
Tecca has a very nice free theme available >> http://www.teccanique.com/thread-20.html
(2013-01-15, 04:26 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]@ Spangle - as you probably realised editing the theme and so on, color is in fact the easiest thing to change. There are some really lovely free themes out there that you can edit.

My advice - if you don't mind me offering it - is to look about at some nice free themes and edit the color sets.

Block and blue is lovely but since all the harajuju wanna-haves are downloading it it is becoming a little common, though still a great theme.
Tecca has a very nice free theme available >> http://www.teccanique.com/thread-20.html

I need all the advice I can get, to let you into a secret I'm 55, never done any courses on coding, I'm a hands on person that learns better if I play with some thing.
I'm actually enjoying seeing what the changes is the CSS do.

My problem is I'm not keen on narrow fixed width, I prefer a wider forum that is fixed.
Welcome to the old people gang Spangle

* Leefish starts a new group MyBBOldies

I always have this with people who want me to make sites - they are all like yea, I have a 1920 by 1200 monitor and I hate the site being so tiny in the middle of it Big Grin

The thing is - I think there is always an optimum size for sites - and if I had a screen that big I think I would probably have the browser window reduced a little. I use a wrapper with a max-width of 1500px.

If you are looking for some idea for themes (and some how tos) try looking at Justin's Apart themes - I use that wrapper trick of his a lot. The minimal theme is nice to see just how much rubbish you can remove from a template and still have an ok looking theme.

It took me two years of trial and error to get the stage I am now with templates and themes - I am still not a good designer, but at least now I know some things I always do:

I always use a wrapper for a semi fluid width
I always have a defined header block
I always swap out the postbit buttons for css.
I always get rid of the thread icons (locked, reply etc) as I am phobic about http requests.
You see now you are talking a language I don't understand :

Wrapper ?? The only one I know go around a Mars bar

Semi Fluid width ? sounds a bit naughty

Which are the post bit buttons?, if you get rid of the thread icons, how do you get rid of the column they go in ?
Well, not far off on the wrapper - if your site was a melted mars bar then the wrapper would hold it to a certain width. Of course, being melted, it would be semi-fluid, so it might be wider than a none melted mars bar, but it can get no bigger than the wrapper.

Postbit buttons are the things that say report and warn and so on. At the bottom of each post when you view a thread.

To get rid of the column you remove it from the forumdisplay threadlist as well as the forumdisplay thread.
Pages: 1 2