MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: WordPress?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am looking to add a forum to my wordpress site. How do I do this. I have the "Forums" plug in ( from Zingirl v 1.4.4) installed and active.

What do I do next?

MyBB is installed on my hosting server.

Please help with detailed instructions.

Thanks
You don't need a WordPress plugin to use MyBB. They are separate.

Since MyBB is installed, just start configuring in the Admin CP. For WP user integration, you may need to look into a MyBB plugin on the mods site.
(2013-01-17, 01:14 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]You don't need a WordPress plugin to use MyBB. They are separate.

Since MyBB is installed, just start configuring in the Admin CP. For WP user integration, you may need to look into a MyBB plugin on the mods site.

I REALLY wish I could say... "Oh that makes sense, I don't know why I didn't think of that!" but that would not be possible here cuz I don't have a freakin clue as to what you are talking about.

Would you care to explain in GREATER detail, Please?
Are you asking for a theme to match with your Wordpress site? What do you want, specifically?
(2013-01-17, 01:55 AM)Irreligious Wrote: [ -> ]Are you asking for a theme to match with your Wordpress site? What do you want, specifically?

I am using 2011 theme for my wordpress site. Clean and fairly simple. Or as some would say, boring.

I guess what I am asking is How do I get MyBB working on my site. I was under the impression that I needed a plugin to make it work. I have deleted the plugin that I installed from Zingirl.

I can not find any step by step instructions on how to set it up and explanations of the different settings and what they do or don't do.

Sorry to be so vague. But I am still learning this stuff and still don't rally know the right questions to ask.

I am sorry I am using 2101 not 2011.

Anyway I tried to install MyBB through my hosting cpanel and get this message

"The following errors were found :

Installation cannot proceed because the following files already exist in the target folder :
"index.php"
Please delete these files or choose another folder.OR
Select the checkbox to overwrite all files and continue"

How do I proceed?
Don't upload the MyBB files in the same folder where the Wordpress files are. Create a new folder there, like /forums/ or something like that and upload the files there.
As it is, I created a new website with a separate domain. as soon as the named server updates I will need help getting started in the endeavor.
I just did this exact same thing a week ago. The online doc for installing MyBB is great - I just followed that step by step. It sounds like your cookie setup will be the .example.com and / type.

I did have issues with the subdomain in that when I go to the admin, it adds folders to the URL string - but since I am the only one using the admin, I can deal with that. I never heard back from anyone on a way to fix that. It may simply be due to my setup - having multiple domains on a single server - so many nested folders.

Anyway - for the WordPress part - I just went into the MENUS setup page under APPEARANCE in the WordPress Admin. I created a new menu. Added the pages and posts I wanted in the menu. Then added a CUSTOM LINK to point to http://subdomain.example.com. Then just organized them way I wanted them to appear on the WordPress site. Last step is to set the new menu to one of the menu locations in the THEME LOCATIONS box. The number of menus supported varies by theme and I noticed that using a defined menu like this did disable the fly-out capabilities of the menus and children items that the default menu provided - but that was not a big deal for me.

All of this can be done on that APPEARANCE -> MENUS page.