MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Bad luck with plugins (strike 2)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello:

the first time i had problems, it was on a "production environment", the second time (learning NOT to test new forums on a "real world" site untill absolutely sure EVERYTHING WORKS PROPERLY) I installed xampp on my localhost. I pre-populated all the plugins that i spent hours reading about and downloading, after all the renaming and moving all those files around on the folder tree, i'm finally ready to test... HOWEVER, after install, i go to my admin cp and logon then i go to configuration tab then plugins, and get an error about a problem in some php file or another, on line 23. which leads me to the following question:::: "HOW to "PREVIEW" a plugin BEFORE "letting it loose on my board (no matter test or fore real) to ensure that IT WILL FUNCTION?"
Though not all plugins are guaranteed perfect, I do suspect that what we have here is a case of PEBKAC.

If you want help with the installing and modification of your forum then you should post specific questions asking for help with that specific issue rather than posting polls on a topic which has been discussed many times on this forum.
(2013-01-17, 12:31 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Though not all plugins are guaranteed perfect, I do suspect that what we have here is a case of PEBKAC.If you want help with the installing and modification of your forum then you should post specific questions asking for help with that specific issue rather than posting polls on a topic which has been discussed many times on this forum.

**Reply to the above::**
I do believe that you are right in that we (may) have a case of PEBKAC here. Now, I am wanting to deploy a MyBB installation on a company intranet site. I have tested the configuration through the process of trying to get it up and running on both my personal (external) website as well as on my "break me" lab on my laptop. How to go about fixing the broken board on my lab environment? The reason I am so worried about my lab environment is because that is what I willl have to show my boss next monday to see (if) he will approve it. I talked to him about the possibility of an internal BB and he said "you bring to me a (working) example and I'll consitter it. We've never had that good of an idea, but with ALL new things, there needs to be high quality and not just something that was drempt up lastnight."
You need to give the error message you are getting.

An example of what can cause issues:

If you have renamed your admin directory then you need to make sure that any plugins with admin files go into the new directory.

OR

You have downloaded awesome plugin x and it is not compatible with MyBB 1.6.9.
If you have no clue maybe you should ask someone else to set it up. No techies in that company of yours?
Our Information Technology Services department is a joke Sad the only time they ever want to hear from someone like me is when there's a "business critical" system down situation (I.e. Can't login to webmail or CRM), having them "help" me get this forum thing off the ground is (in the words of ITS manager Lindsay) "*NOT* what they pay us for... and even if they did ... it's *your* project" So, now i'm reaching out to the community here for help because the "help" I have is a flipping joke Sad

Hope you all have a nice day.
I am concerned about your statement "after all the renaming and moving all those files around on the folder tree"

what does this mean? there should be no renaming (unless just the admin folder), nor moving things around in the mybb install.
Carly - we cannot help you because you are not telling us the actual issue.

We need to know what the error is. Specifically.
first of all, i did use the incorrect phrase about renaming, just a lot of copying files around. And Secondly, the error i am getting at present is
Parse error: parse error, expecting `')'' in C:\xampp\htdocs\test\inc\plugins\groupinvite.php on line 23

Hello:

I just had a (pardon the punn) "Lightbulb Moment" here: Why not have someone do all the file moving and code edits on my behalf (upload the core zip and all plugins (in original zip files) and one of you (more experienced) board admins can create a "custom installation set" for me with all plugins in the rightb places and the code edits working so all i have to do is unzip, upload/copy, install, configure.... and presto, I'm done. I will create a follow-up post to this one with a link to the aformentioned zip file hosted on my web server with a username and password. I hope I am NOT violating any plugin licenses by uploading this for the SOLE PURPOSE OF OBTAINING SUPPORT.

Here is the file location and login informations discussed above:
the source zip file (original files for board and plugins)

http://susansaves.org/help/bb.zip
Username: f0rums-help-mbb
Password: 5X5249NWVV7NWM7ZWI
I am going to try this one more time.

We would need to know the specific error that is shown when you go to the ACP.

Here is some more information: If you want your board installed and all your plugins and your themes then you will need to ask it it in RSJ.

If you are not able to give the location of your server etc out to a 3rd party because it is a company server then I do suggest that you consider that you will have to maintain this system - and its upgrades - yourself. if you are unable to install the board and plugins then I fear that it might be a bit much for you to maintain the forum. This would cause disappointment for you and your boss, and more importantly (for me at least) the MyBB software may be perceived to be at fault due to poor admin practices on your part.
Pages: 1 2