MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do I get started?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I downloaded mybb code and I opened it up in Dreamweaver.

All I see is meaningless code and there are no graphics, pictures or anything that looks like a template for me to play around with.

What do I do?

How do I create anything using mybb?

I looked in the step by step guide, but it doesn't indicate anything that can help me at all.

It looks like I need to understand about 3 or 4 things before I can understand how to ask questions that will help me to ask a question.

I don't know anything about html and bb, I don't know where to start.

All I want to do is to work with a template that I can mess around with.

I want a forum, that allows people to register and to post, like this site.

I also want a blog type site to post essays and docs, but I want it so that people still can register in that part and so you can have a member editor part, so the username is visible, even if they aren't in the forum bit.

I know I probably will need to speak one on one with someone on here, because I don't speak programming language and know nothing of the terms., so this thread probably wont make it clear about how I want to proceed.
First you need to have a website to upload those script.
There is a few video guide on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_qu...lling+MyBB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MreR2QO2qpk - I think this a great video.
(2013-01-18, 11:39 AM)nemus_amaranthi Wrote: [ -> ]I downloaded mybb code and I opened it up in Dreamweaver.

All I see is meaningless code and there are no graphics, pictures or anything that looks like a template for me to play around with.

What do I do?

How do I create anything using mybb?

I looked in the step by step guide, but it doesn't indicate anything that can help me at all.

It looks like I need to understand about 3 or 4 things before I can understand how to ask questions that will help me to ask a question.

I don't know anything about html and bb, I don't know where to start.

All I want to do is to work with a template that I can mess around with.

I want a forum, that allows people to register and to post, like this site.

I also want a blog type site to post essays and docs, but I want it so that people still can register in that part and so you can have a member editor part, so the username is visible, even if they aren't in the forum bit.

I know I probably will need to speak one on one with someone on here, because I don't speak programming language and know nothing of the terms., so this thread probably wont make it clear about how I want to proceed.

if you know nothing of coding your best bet is to download a theme (skinr) for mybb and use an example of mybb running a blog and a forum can be found here (link). I am developing this theme so if you need advice on a method of doing this let me know
Still got no pictures with the themes.

I want a template to play around with.

I want it to be able to register members and allow users to post.

I think if I get a template and then somehow implicate the code, it will work somehow. I want to have a working template with styles, codes and everything and then be able to test it and then edit it.

I can't start playing around with code if I have no idea what it is changing.

I need pictures and blocks!

Templates with the code.
You can't really play around with templates without installing the MyBB software on a server somewhere, either on proper web hosting or a localhost environment. See the docs on installing.
(2013-01-18, 02:51 PM)nemus_amaranthi Wrote: [ -> ]Still got no pictures with the themes.

I want a template to play around with.

I want it to be able to register members and allow users to post.

I think if I get a template and then somehow implicate the code, it will work somehow. I want to have a working template with styles, codes and everything and then be able to test it and then edit it.

I can't start playing around with code if I have no idea what it is changing.

I need pictures and blocks!

Templates with the code.

I can not reply to your pm as you have the ability to receive PM's switched off