MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A warning to all
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Yea most free themes are just themes that are available here. Its just new forum owners taking them from here and uploading them on their own forums as a way of creating content. Basically just duplicating content.
Bubbling new developers can easily learn how to code "properly" by practicing at codecademy.com I'm teaching myself Jquery right now with that site.
Besides that, there's even been premium templates made by well known MyBB theme developers that I, a web coding amateur, had to fix. Yes the problem is probably worse with newer developers on the scene that have no background, but wouldn't be better when you see problems, make them an opportunity for a SOLUTION instead of pointing fingers?
example:
More money for you to fix other people's problems which in turn can provide valuable feedback so that the crappy developer can either fix their problems and/OR you and the customer can publicly complain about the spotty work so a better percentage of users DON'T buy that spotty product.
So I don't understand your anger/grievance with this Tindris?
I don't see how it directly concerns you unless you aren't turning it into a positive solution and are dipping in your sales trends?
Either way... I personally think it's better to just see and execute opportunities to fix things... and going about it this way really doesn't in my opinion...
See the thing is, if you go around often exclaiming how horrible competitor work is... what does that say about your character? Even if it's true.
You'll find sales trends are better when you don't behave that way in comparison to say a SWOT developed business/marketing plan.
Even in comparison advertising, they don't usually BASH all competitors, just one.
Maybe I'm wasting my time typing all this... I just want to point out there's other "better" ways to deal with your frustration here Tindris. Good luck.
It isn't frustration, it is fact. I don't know what ethic you have, but I believe my clients should never have to pay more than necessary. Forking out extra money to have a theme fixed once they have already bought it just isn't right in my mind.

Also, many of these developers only show aggression when you try an discuss issues with their work with them
(2013-01-21, 05:39 AM)Tindris Wrote: [ -> ]It isn't frustration, it is fact. I don't know what ethic you have, but I believe my clients should never have to pay more than necessary. Forking out extra money to have a theme fixed once they have already bought it just isn't right in my mind.

Also, many of these developers only show aggression when you try an discuss issues with their work with them

Just so you know...

http://www.creaspire.com/ is not HTML validated.
(2013-01-21, 05:44 AM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-21, 05:39 AM)Tindris Wrote: [ -> ]It isn't frustration, it is fact. I don't know what ethic you have, but I believe my clients should never have to pay more than necessary. Forking out extra money to have a theme fixed once they have already bought it just isn't right in my mind.

Just so you know...

http://www.creaspire.com/ is not HTML validated.

Neither is modogo.com its showing a parse error
66 	.headimg2 	Property background-position-y doesn't exist : -225px
384 	#projimage img.idl 	Value Error : z-index Parse Error
438 	#extendinfo 	Parse Error ’ƒÆ’‚¾ ¾-ms-transition: all .2s linear
439 	#extendinfo 	Parse Error ’ƒÆ’‚¾ ¾-o-transition: all .2s linear
530 	form.contact label.con 	Value Error : font-weight light is not a font-weight value : light
618 	.headimg2 	Property background-position-y doesn't exist : -225px
940 	#projimage img.idl 	Value Error : z-index Parse Error
1081 	form.contact label.con 	Value Error : font-weight light is not a font-weight value : light 

In fact any MyBB board using webkit or moz transition would fail as well
Our little sister is too much worried about the quality. :p
She forgot people are smart and have their own individual ways to choose their designer.

On the other hand, if a board owner fails to pick the right designer - he fails on the first step to run / own a board.
The term "Premium" has become synonymous with "paid". There is actually very little semblance to quality anymore.

Any buyer should do their own research anyways and review stuff like coding standards, reviews, and validation.
(2013-01-21, 07:33 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]The term "Premium" has become synonymous with "paid". There is actually very little semblance to quality anymore.

Nor is there "Uniqueness" anymore.

You pay $6 for a theme, and that's the designer paid for the time, but 500 other people can pay for the same theme.
It's true that quality is hard to find these days. Unfortunately telling people this won't help them, because they're headed to the cheapest source (9 times out of 10). Really it's no fault of the designer or developer, but rather the person buying it. Most theme sites here offer a live demo, and most browsers offer debugging software, so if they buy a badly coded theme they just didn't do their research, or got what they paid for. No one forces them to buy that specific theme.

People can easily post threads asking for theme developer recommendations, last I checked. xD
I actually think overly complex themes normally associated with premium themes don't actually do well for sites.

It's why Google beat out Yahoo!. Simple can be better. Easy on the eyes can be vital.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7