MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Received PM from a member which is not sent by him
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i received a PM from a member on my forum. but when i contacted him personally on mobile, he said he has not sent any such pm. what could be the possible reasons... any hacks???? i have asked him to change his password now. I cant see any changes from admin cp on this
It's simple. He is either lying or his account actually was hacked!
Maybe use PM Admin log to see if the PM was really sent or not and if you can the IP log history plugin by MyBBCentral to see the last 5(default) IP loggins.
I've seen an odd issue where one of my Moderators was not receiving any PMs he says people were sending him. When I searched his alias via Admin CP, I found two accounts with the exact usernames.

How that happened, still unsure. I attempted to replicate the issue, by trying to register the same name again, but it wouldn't work. Maybe the similar phenomenon has occurred here, check if there's multiple accounts with the same username.
(2013-01-22, 06:56 PM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen an odd issue where one of my Moderators was not receiving any PMs he says people were sending him. When I searched his alias via Admin CP, I found two accounts with the exact usernames.

How that happened, still unsure. I attempted to replicate the issue, by trying to register the same name again, but it wouldn't work. Maybe the similar phenomenon has occurred here, check if there's multiple accounts with the same username.

Were those members registered the "classic" way? I mean, is there any difference between how those users got inserted into the DB (i.e: One registered and the other had his account created form the ACP)?

Also, those users has always had the same user-name?

Only reason I can think of for this is MyBB or a plugin not propertly checking if the user-name already exists upon user "insertion" or user-name change.
(2013-01-24, 12:09 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-22, 06:56 PM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen an odd issue where one of my Moderators was not receiving any PMs he says people were sending him. When I searched his alias via Admin CP, I found two accounts with the exact usernames.

Were those members registered the "classic" way? I mean, is there any difference between how those users got inserted into the DB (i.e: One registered and the other had his account created form the ACP)?

Only reason I can thin of for this is MyBB or a plugin not propertly checking if the user-name already exists upon user "insertion" or user-name change.

Maybe a special foreign letter in the username, and MyBB accepted it but in the future read it as a regular name so when typed, it chose that one?
I'm not sure but it sounds like it may be possible.
You can use a hidden unicode character to make the username almost exactly the same. When in doubt check the UID.
(2013-01-24, 12:09 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]

Only reason I can think of for this is MyBB or a plugin not propertly checking if the user-name already exists upon user "insertion" or user-name change.

Well I have seen this a lot on HF. People sign up under a different username but then they use hidden or special unicodes to have the exact same username as others but the reality is that they just have a similar username with at least 2 different but invisible or hard to see characters.

I believe in the DB, it gets inserted with the unicodes, maybe as a different character or maybe with a square that often displays for broken unicodes on usernames.
Pages: 1 2