MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Member Search by State . . .
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Would it be possible to somehow categorize my members by state (geo location) or somehow be able to do a search for members by state? Is there a plugin for this?
If you've some custom fid input for state, then you can add it as a sort option on memberlist.
Adding that option to the memberlist is doable but it requires modification of the memberlist.php.
Lee when you say "doable" is it pretty involved? I'd really like to do it unless it's a nightmare for you.
It is actually very doable.

I will go take a look - location field yes?
(2013-01-24, 09:33 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]It is actually very doable.

I will go take a look - location field yes?

Not quite sure what you're asking re location field. As you know we already have the geo loc in the postbit, but we have no way of seeing which members live where unless they happen to post recently, or we want to go through every member and look. I'm wanting a new feature somehow where all members can be grouped by location. Problem is some have written in the location field upon signup "North Carolina" for example and some just "NC". Not really a problem as long as we have a listing of members by state smoe where.

Ideally when the members list is selected, an option to arrnage them according to state would be best. As always open to ideas.
Its installed kevin

Check it out

Of course, unless we change the whole layout of the custom fields where they are required to select by country and state, using a drop down. That is ALL your members who need to be updated though, and I am unsure how we can realistically chain country and state within the MyBB customfields framework.
Would it be difficult to add another "Sort By" option in the member list drop-down that sorted location just simply alphabetically? Wouldn't be perfect because countries would be interspersed between states but I wouldn't care about that. It would be close enough to accomplish what the members want. Our goal is to be able to quickly find all members in our own region.
I am busy working on something - to be honest - I think that hacking the memberlist is gonna be a PITA and it would probably be quicker to make you a custom page - where if there is no location filled in then that member just won't show on it.
Ok, I have "hacked" the memberlist - it is now showing all members and using jQuery datatables we can search and filter on name and location.