MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: noConflict for remote JS (not inline scripts)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So doing an integration of Coppermine and MyBB, theMyBB forum uses both Prototype and JQuery. Then the Coppermine installation adds it's own JQuery library.

The two JQuery are different versions so I can't just get rid of one.

I get the typical "not a function" error at lines like "$(document).ready(function() {"

But since the script is being run from a file, i can't do the simple fix of

<script type="text/javascript">
  $.noConflict();
  // Code that uses other library's $ can follow here.
</script>

so how do I fix the issue?
(2013-01-24, 09:50 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]So doing an integration of Coppermine and MyBB, theMyBB forum uses both Prototype and JQuery. Then the Coppermine installation adds it's own JQuery library.

The two JQuery are different versions so I can't just get rid of one.

I get the typical "not a function" error at lines like "$(document).ready(function() {"

But since the script is being run from a file, i can't do the simple fix of

$.noConflict();
  // Code that uses other library's $ can follow here.
</script>

so how do I fix the issue?

Convert the no-conflict to a unique variable. Then replace all instances of $ to your newly declared variable.

So do the following:

var newquery = jQuery.noConflict()
  newquery(document).ready(function() {
  // etc.......
  });
</script>
but that works for inline code, but what about the code in a remote JS (truly remote or in a local file, like in jscripts folder)
Yes that works, I use this all the time. Try it.
Then you'll have to manually modify the file(s) I'm afraid. You only need to declare jQuery.noConflict() once though.
(2013-01-24, 11:11 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]Yes that works, I use this all the time. Try it.

so where do I use that? There are about 12 different JS files called but hardly any <script> </script> code with actual functions in it. None of the functions causing the problem are inline.

(2013-01-24, 11:14 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]Then you'll have to manually modify the file(s) I'm afraid. You only need to declare jQuery.noConflict() once though.

Modify them how? Just do a global replace of "$" with "jQuery" in the say the CPG JS files?
Well, what I would do is place the "var newquery = jQuery.noConflict()" on top of all your js files. There wont be <script> tags in those files obviously. And just declare a unique variable in each file. This works for me and ensures that each file is unique.
If the scripts use $(document).ready(), replace them like this:

jQuery(document).ready(function($) {
// The normal code - we can use $ safely as it's passed as a parameter
});

Otherwise, you'll have to replace the instances of $ with jQuery (or if you're using Frank's method, the custom variable).
(2013-01-24, 11:23 PM)Frank.Barry Wrote: [ -> ]Well, what I would do is place the "var newquery = jQuery.noConflict()" on top of all your js files. There wont be <script> tags in those files obviously. And just declare a unique variable in each file. This works for me and ensures that each file is unique.

thanks for the tip but I went with Euan's way as I understood it better.

(2013-01-24, 11:26 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]If the scripts use $(document).ready(), replace them like this:

jQuery(document).ready(function($) {
// The normal code - we can use $ safely as it's passed as a parameter
});

Otherwise, you'll have to replace the instances of $ with jQuery (or if you're using Frank's method, the custom variable).

Replaced the opening function call and then all instances of $( with jQuery( and all seems to be working.

Thanks to you both for the help.
Glad you got it working Wink