MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: banning proxies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Recently someone has begun to troll my forum. I have banned his username, email, IP, etc. but he keeps making new accounts. He's obviously using proxies that can use cookies, from some of the IPs I've seen.

I was wondering if there was a good list someone of the well known public proxy IPs that I could use to ban those and stop this. I know there are sites that list proxy domain names but i really don't want to take the time to look up all the IPs.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
I've never heard of such a list, you might try a Google search. There's not a whole lot you can do besides banning the users current IP address, there are tons and tons of proxies out there. Best of luck.
Well, I use the following code in my IPB for the very same reason, but use it at your own risk as it may block out few legitimate users.

$spammer_ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
                $ip = explode(".", $spammer_ip);
                $dsbl_list = "{$ip[3]}.{$ip[2]}.{$ip[1]}.{$ip[0]}.list.dsbl.org";
                $hostname = gethostbyname($dsbl_list);
                if ($hostname != $dsbl_list) {
                        $this->show_reg_form('err_open_proxy_server');
                        return;
                }

You can convert it to work with MyBB but make sure the message you display tells the user it might not be because they've done something wrong and contact at [email protected] if they haven't done anything wrong. Ofcourse it's not fool-proof but it helped me at the site where users aren't geeks.

The best and the worst part of forums is managing your users. Never get aggressive or the forum will be ruined. You just have to act in a way that your users understand the reason for them being banned and not get aggressive.
thanks for the suggestion. I checked though and most of the IPs he's using are not listed in list.dsbl.org or sbl-xbl or many of the other ones.

But anyway I just ended up switching registration to requiring admin approval. Much better now. Smile
Well, he must not be using many of those open proxies then, might be private proxies or just that his isp gives him lots of random/dynamic ips.

Good that you've switched to admin approval, though in some cases that isn't really possible. Smile
Yeah, you should really check the WHOIS for those IPs. He could just be a dial-up user. I get a new IP everytime I sign on. If that's the case, you could probably use regular expressions to ban his entire IP range. If he's on a major ISP like AOL or Earthlink, you might not wanna do that though Smile

I've also found that for particularly nasty trolls, a quick e-mail to [email protected] complaining that he's spamming your forum will generally get results. Some ISPs just don't care, but some do. I've gotten one or two people's Internet access suspended for trolling me, lol. Big Grin
Yeah, I had a few hacking attempts on my admin cp (fortunetly unsuccessful ones) and the ISP warned him lol. w00t!