MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: No Installer in Install Folder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to switch from phpBB3 to MyBB. I have a host site set up for my phpBB3 forum, and wanted to add a MyBB forum, so my users could decide which they prefer.

I downloaded MyBB 1.6.9, unpacked it, then uploaded to Host Control Panel with Firezilla. I have located the MyBB install folder.

The installation instructions say, "The installer is found in the "install" directory within the MyBB folder." However, all I see in the install directory are the folders "images" and "resources," and the files "index," "stylesheet," and "upgrade."

I've spent hours reading help files, and studying the uploaded folders, but still can't figure out how to install.

Update: I just read the documentation that downloaded with the program, and it includes this:
"In your browser, visit the URL where you installed your forums, appending /install/ on to the end of it."

I'm now wondering if this is the problem. My host site uses Simple Scripts, and has a choice of 5 forum softwares, but MyBB is not among them. When I set up the phpBB3 forum, phpBB3 was on the list. I clicked to install, everything was automatically set up, and I was prompted to choose a URL.

If this is the problem, that I need to first set up a URL, then I have no idea how to do this. But I guess my original problem remains ... there is no installer file in the Install directory.
You have to run the installer in your browser. There is no .exe or something like this as MyBB is written in PHP.
So how do I do this? I can't find anything to click on or run.
To run the installer, you'll need to visit yoursite.com/install/ Smile
(2013-01-27, 06:51 PM)Vernier Wrote: [ -> ]To run the installer, you'll need to visit yoursite.com/install/ Smile

Thank you. Where can I find info / how do I set up a URL for the new MyBB forum on my site?

As I mentioned, I was prompted during the install process to set up the URL for my phpBB3 board. However, for MyBB, it seems to be the opposite. I am supposed to have somehow created the URL first, and don't have a clue how to do this. I have set up boards on host sites such as Forumer, but am new to doing this on my own site.

btw, I did try going to mysite.com/install/ (where mysite is my website, not the forum site), and I get a 404 error, Not Found.
You have actually bought a domain and hosting..?
Yes. I bought a domain and hosting. I set up a phpBB3 forum on that domain, using the Simple Scripts phpBB3 link on the host site: mysite/forum

This is where I am lost. The host site had it set up nicely for me to use phpBB3 and a few others. I only had to click on the phpBB3 option and the process prompted me to create an URL.

But I have to start from scratch to try to use MyBB. And I have no URL and don't know how to figure out how to set one up.
Follow [Docs: Installing].

It would help if you provide a screenshot of your FTP client logged in to your FTP account so we can see where you've uploaded MyBB, and also if you provide your domain.