MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forum not rendering correctly in browser
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last week I updated my install from 1.6.0 to 1.6.9 doing a fresh/full install as directed for a multi-version jump. I then created a new forum, copied a post, had people reply, everything seemed great. This weekend we noticed that all major web-browsers were getting and rendering garbage:
Quote:��;ms۸џ����=��l�c��d�E�t��\r;��J󴝎"!�1I�(Y�>���H����8׻�~�C��ž/wv�����-LT�է���{��s��8g�3�����sp�:�S�@"f�����5Q*i;�l6�gM[�c��ѹ%\.-�k�����ou����@*��6��o�V�nk.n���xܱxl�� �c�YC�=<<4�,������@���Q0�KS1��Q � < �Y��T�O"͢c�@nTY"< b/�|nX ��Rv,*��Lq �<�8�$a�1ڟ�J�?�(N֎u�pRA�"J [���a׷-��ѝݤ�klx�=9Ұ錈MG�c?'b'����L1%��:A��W���&N���1�����f��c�D�x�j}��3�:����!%�7a������S��,�^$��}aS&��

All of the data is there. Curl and wget work just fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

- Brent
Do you have gzip compression enabled in the Server & Optimisation settings? If so, try disabling it.
I had recently enable compression in php.ini. I turned that back off, cleared my browser cache, but still rendering the same. Are you referring to a MyBB setting? It's really hard to find them right now w/o browser access.

- Brent
(2013-01-28, 07:02 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have gzip compression enabled in the Server & Optimisation settings? If so, try disabling it.
Yes, you can try manually modifying the ./inc/settings.php file and see if GZip compressing is enabled or not. I forget the exact variable but if you paste the contents of the file, I can always tell you the changes if you can't find the correct variable.
Thanks for the fast help! The line in question was:
$settings['gzipoutput'] = "1";
Changing it to "0" made the page render in Chrome. Is there a real fix? they aren't the most active forums in the world, so efficiency isn't a huge deal, but it's always nice.

- Brent
(2013-01-28, 07:33 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, you can try manually modifying the ./inc/settings.php file and see if GZip compressing is enabled or not. I forget the exact variable but if you paste the contents of the file, I can always tell you the changes if you can't find the correct variable.
Great. Now you'll have to go into the ACP and save the settings there unfortunately.

ACP > Configuration > Server & Optimization Settings > GZIP Encoding = Off

There isn't really any way around this. it seems your server is already compressing the output. Compressing it twice causes this issue.