MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: got questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear All,

I am interested in developing an online community forum pertaining to a subject of interest within my country of origin. I have been scouting around the Internet and found that mybboard to be the best in all my preferences. Although I believe the website is perfect and complete in everyway possible, I still could not comprehend what was conveyed as my knowledge and experience pertaining to matters in hand is still in its infancy stage. Due to this predicament, I would really appreciate it if all the below questions are answered before i continue to the next level.

1. I already have an online community forums (free hosting) at the moment. How do I transfer all data from the old forums (aceboard) to the new ones (myb)?

2. My knowledge to computer programming and codings are very limited. Under such circumstances, could I still administrate/moderate the forums effectively?

3. I also would like advertise various advertisements within my forums. How do I insert banners and such?

I hope my questions are answered as I am very much interested to start my community. I also need tutorial starting from download, installation and setup. Thanks in advance your time and efforts.

Regards
1.) I don't think Aceboard has a way to export database information. It's a free hosted forum script, meaning that it kind of sucks. You'd have to start your forum fresh most likely.

2.) Yes, MyBB is extremely easy to use. If you want to edit templates, themes, or add custom MyBBcode...then you need some coding skills. Otherwise, moderation and administration is very simple.

3.) There is a mod here that lets you insert ads very easily. Minimal tech-knowledge is needed to install.
PHP_Paul Wrote:1.)  I don't think Aceboard has a way to export database information.  It's a free hosted forum script, meaning that it kind of sucks.  You'd have to start your forum fresh most likely.

2.) Yes, MyBB is extremely easy to use.  If you want to edit templates, themes, or add custom MyBBcode...then you need some coding skills.  Otherwise, moderation and administration is very simple.

3.) There is a mod here that lets you insert ads very easily.  Minimal tech-knowledge is needed to install.
Dear Sir,
Pertaining to your answers above, i have a few more questions. They are:

1. Isn't mybb free too? What are the differences between aceboard and mybb?

2. Since im not good in codings, where can i get all the coding items stated?

3. If not mistaken, in the links given, i dont see any advertising except at the top of each forum which include of Yahoo Ads and Google Ads. My intention is to create banners in between the forums' categories such as in link below:

i. http://forum.lowyat.net
ii. http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums

4. If i register my community within mybb, what will my url be?
eg: lets just say that my community is "ABC"
i. www.abc.com or
ii. www.abc.mybboard.com or
iii. others

thx in advance for replies.

regards
btw is sub-forums (forums within a forum) function available in mybb?
Regarding Question 1, had the same problem - I had an SMF for free board, and it would have cost me $30 for them to hand over the database.

Basically, with SMF (and by the sounds of it, with aceboard) they keep the database and all, which is what you need to transfer boards. You can always ask the host of the boards but they will probably ask for a fee for your database...
Maybe I should clarify some of the points being made here. SMF is a free board and it costs nothing to have control of the database.

It is when the board is not hosted by you (ie: the address of your board is on a different server than the address for the rest of your site).

I agree with writers that they will probably want to charge you for leaving their service and giving you the database. But because of the fact that Aceboard is not a readily available download, there will be no premade converter for you and the process will have to be done manually. In the case of SMF, there is less of an issue because there have been converters made for boards that are readily available for download.

Also in regards to your latest question, yes subforums can be made fairly easy through the administrative control panel. If you need help setting up myBB on your server since this sounds like this is the first time you will be attempting such a task feel free to PM me and I will try to walk you through the steps.
hmm...thx. your reply pretty much answered my questions (1 & 2). but what bout no. 3 and 4?

thx in advance
btw can anybody point me any good forums using mybb (apart from this community) for my reference? thx
3) Possible. Should be simple enough as editing the templates and possibly some simple code mods.

4) When you download MyBB, you install it yourself on your own host. You don't hosting it on mybboard.com. So yes, your url would be abc.com.
cobramotor Wrote:btw can anybody point me any good forums using mybb (apart from this community) for my reference? thx

http://www.msghelp.net/
http://forums.rct3x.net/
http://forums.rctgo.com/

Just a few off the top of my head, many many more out there.
cobramotor Wrote:1. Isn't mybb free too? What are the differences between aceboard and mybb?
Yes MyBB is free. However, the usage is different than aceboard. With aceboard, they are hosting your forum for you. They take care of the hosting, bandwidth, and everything so you don't need to fiddle around with uploading things or creating databases.

With MyBB, you are responsible for hosting the forum yourself. This means you must have a webhost with PHP and MySQL (and other specific requirements listed in the installation).

cobramotor Wrote:4. If i register my community within mybb, what will my url be?
eg: lets just say that my community is "ABC"
i. www.abc.com or
ii. www.abc.mybboard.com or
iii. others

thx in advance for replies.

regards
As I've said above, we do not host your forum. You must download the MyBB package, and upload and install it to your own webhost. With your webhost, you can usually use your own domain name (unless you're using a free host).
cobramotor Wrote:btw is sub-forums (forums within a forum) function available in mybb?
Yes.