MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Questions on 1.8 and 2.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I've checked out the demo for 1.8 and things look pretty good (from what works at least :p). But I'm wondering how the transition to 2.0 will work.

I can't imagine the team revamping the theme, templates, and core files only to redo the whole thing from the ground up a couple years later. So will there be more changes to 1.8 as development goes on?

To be fair, I haven't downloaded the alpha yet so there could be changes that I don't know of.
2.0 is still many years away and will be a complete rewrite - including the way templates work and the general look and feel of the whole system. All themes and plugins from the 1.x series will not work in 2.0.
(2013-01-29, 11:46 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]2.0 is still many years away and will be a complete rewrite - including the way templates work and the general look and feel of the whole system. All themes and plugins from the 1.x series will not work in 2.0.

Ah, so it'll just be a ways off. Thanks Smile
(2013-01-29, 11:46 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]2.0 is still many years away and will be a complete rewrite - including the way templates work and the general look and feel of the whole system. All themes and plugins from the 1.x series will not work in 2.0.

Aww really, so we gotta delete all the plugins when it comes out, and gotta remake the plugins?
(2013-01-31, 05:01 AM)MYBB GHOST Wrote: [ -> ]

Aww really, so we gotta delete all the plugins when it comes out, and gotta remake the plugins?
Yep...
(2013-01-29, 11:46 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]2.0 is still many years away
This made me cry a little inside... lol

K, means no reservations for 1.8, I'll dive right in!

The 1.x series will still be support for a reasonable amount of time after 2.0.0 is released. By the time many of you upgrade your forums there will be plenty of plugins for you to use. As far as the community is concerned, 2.0 is a whole new forum software.
(2013-01-31, 08:27 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]

The 1.x series will still be support for a reasonable amount of time after 2.0.0 is released. By the time many of you upgrade your forums there will be plenty of plugins for you to use. As far as the community is concerned, 2.0 is a whole new forum software.

Ok, cool, will they be a beta version for that also?

Will there be a 1.10 before 2.0?
(2013-02-01, 01:46 AM)MYBB GHOST Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, cool, will they be a beta version for that also?

There always is.

(2013-02-01, 01:46 AM)MYBB GHOST Wrote: [ -> ]Will there be a 1.10 before 2.0?

Versioning for what is 2.0 beta hasn't been decided. We'll probably just leave it as 2.0 beta as it isn't in any way similar to the 1.x series.