MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Importing a large database
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I wouldn't even consider 1 GB large. That's a pretty small amount to handle to be honest.

OP, if you don't have shell access I advise you use MySQLDumper (But make sure you block off public access. It can do more damage than good if in the wrong hands).
(2013-01-30, 11:40 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't even consider 1 GB large. That's a pretty small amount to handle to be honest.

+1
Most hosts are just stingy with the SQL import limit, the highest I've seen was just 50mb.
(2013-01-30, 11:35 AM)ProVirus Wrote: [ -> ]@TOM: i used ">" which means greater than not less than. Ohhh GOD is there no programmers here. They would definitely understand me Toungue

No, your logic is flawed.

This: "Large DB >= 1gb" would be fine. "A large database is greater than or equal to 1gb". If you wrote a program with your logic you would get the wrong results, you said anything equal to or less than 1gb is a large database.

Let me put it this way for you:

a = a house
b = a car

Now, usually, a >= b yes? Because, in terms of size a house is greater than or equal in to that of a car. Ok, so on a scale of size, it looks like this

---b-----------------a---

Where a house is further up the scale of size than a car correct? Now, replace the car with "1gb" (the thing you are comparing a database's size to) and a house with the "large db". See where your logic fails?

Also, regarding less than and greater than. You must flip the sign if you swap the sides. EG:

x >= y
y <= x (sometimes written "y =< x" which is easier to see the flip )

So, "1gb is greater than of equal to a large database" is the same as " a large database is less than or equal to 1gb" - they mean the same.

We do it all the time when comparing things. A house is bigger than a car, and a car is smaller than a house.

Also, as a side note, I am a programmer, of multiple languages. Many members here are.
Pages: 1 2