MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: pcrepairforums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hey i have started a new forum at www.pcrepairforums.com

i do have one small layout problem which is i need to move the post options box down. any help thanks.

[attachment=28465]
-You need a better theme
-Remove tabs
-Too many forums
-Nothing unique to attract new visitors, what can you offer that others can't?
well the admins are all a+ certified in computer repair i am making it a computer repair forum so i made the forums as a guide line for people to post in without them i don't want people posting random problems into one forum also it help as a guide for us to post topics in. as for the theme idk what i could get that is better i kinda like the chrome logo i photoshoped and i might make a black chrome look theme to go with it.
Well, it looks' good but I think you should make it better in design.
There's an actual advantage to a PC forum, it's still a difficult niche though, but with a lot of hard work, it could work.

The theme needs major improvement. But the content's way more important.

What's the #1 tool to I.T?

... Google.

Start writing out all sorts of technical issues in forum posts along with the solutions. Don't wait for users to sign up & post their problems, write as much as you can, find as much common issues online, and post all the solutions with it on your forum.

Because Techs google issues everyday, with proper content & SEO, you'll get the visitors looking for answers, then asking more questions or seeking further help because existing answers didn't work.
(2013-01-30, 10:56 PM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]There's an actual advantage to a PC forum, it's still a difficult niche though, but with a lot of hard work, it could work.

The theme needs major improvement. But the content's way more important.

What's the #1 tool to I.T?

... Google.

Start writing out all sorts of technical issues in forum posts along with the solutions. Don't wait for users to sign up & post their problems, write as much as you can, find as much common issues online, and post all the solutions with it on your forum.

Because Techs google issues everyday, with proper content & SEO, you'll get the visitors looking for answers, then asking more questions or seeking further help because existing answers didn't work.

thanks a lot for the helpful information i am right now working on a theme so if you swing by the site again you would see it i am photo-shoping the red link buttons like closed and reply and stuff to blue to match. but thanks.
I don't want to bash your forum, but I do have some suggestions on how you can tidy up the theme:

1) Get rid of the image on the thead and use a background color. It is one http request less and will look nicer as the image you have looks rather odd on forum bit. I would advise the same on the tcat and tfoot.

2) If you are going to use the folder icons, get ones suited to a dark theme. The ones you have have borders on them and don't look so nice.

3) The on image for the index - just make it a different colour to the off and locked - lose that extra thing on it.

4) Rather than trying to make the MyBB postbuttons look halfway decent, go for a custom button set. If you can use Photoshop/Gimp then download an icon font and make your own set.

5) Most important - CONTENT. weBex is right - you could get a good forum going here but you need content.

Finally, using Google chrome the login register text in the guest header appears to be in Romanian - which is odd when the rest is in English
(2013-01-31, 01:02 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want to bash your forum, but I do have some suggestions on how you can tidy up the theme:

1) Get rid of the image on the thead and use a background color. It is one http request less and will look nicer as the image you have looks rather odd on forum bit. I would advise the same on the tcat and tfoot.

2) If you are going to use the folder icons, get ones suited to a dark theme. The ones you have have borders on them and don't look so nice.

3) The on image for the index - just make it a different colour to the off and locked - lose that extra thing on it.

4) Rather than trying to make the MyBB postbuttons look halfway decent, go for a custom button set. If you can use Photoshop/Gimp then download an icon font and make your own set.

5) Most important - CONTENT. weBex is right - you could get a good forum going here but you need content.

Finally, using Google chrome the login register text in the guest header appears to be in Romanian - which is odd when the rest is in English

yea i agree i am still working on touching up some of the images with photoshopi will be changing a lot on the site in the next week i want the theme to look perfect and wtf on the romainian lol ill have to look at that thanks for letting me know as i use firefox
Issues you can focus on to generate content:
- MS Office; Access, Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Windows; XP, Vista, 7. Too early for 8, almost no office environment will be using it.
- Web Browsers; Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, & Safari.

What you need to do is find all the common issues & solutions to go with the issues and post them on your board.

An additional advice, a lot of I.T departments either send out "Tip of the week/month" by email, or have a tip posted on their company intranet.

If your board has cool tips, it'd be an excellent source for techies. The thing to keep in mind here though, is whatever "Cool Tip" you're going to post, the tech department will be sharing with their users, and their users may not have Administrator rights. Power Users at best.

So think of things that can enhance the desktop, workflow, shortcuts, browsers, etc that ultimately improves their PC performance, appearance & or productivity.

I can tell you right now, being in I.T, if you can succeed with all the content I've advised you on in addition to fixing the design, I'd share the site in my I.T network.
(2013-01-31, 04:34 PM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]Issues you can focus on to generate content:
- MS Office; Access, Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Windows; XP, Vista, 7. Too early for 8, almost no office environment will be using it.
- Web Browsers; Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, & Safari.

What you need to do is find all the common issues & solutions to go with the issues and post them on your board.

An additional advice, a lot of I.T departments either send out "Tip of the week/month" by email, or have a tip posted on their company intranet.

If your board has cool tips, it'd be an excellent source for techies. The thing to keep in mind here though, is whatever "Cool Tip" you're going to post, the tech department will be sharing with their users, and their users may not have Administrator rights. Power Users at best.

So think of things that can enhance the desktop, workflow, shortcuts, browsers, etc that ultimately improves their PC performance, appearance & or productivity.

I can tell you right now, being in I.T, if you can succeed with all the content I've advised you on in addition to fixing the design, I'd share the site in my I.T network.

That would be great I plan on photoshoping some of the link buttons later also I am trying to get some of my admins to be creative and come up with topics to post

Also I want to work in the diy thread some more
Pages: 1 2