MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: GitHub Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a couple of questions about Github and Git.

1) I have a repo of mybb on my account and since I forked it, mybb's mybb repo has had several code changes. How do I update my repo to have the same code as mybb's repo? Do I have to delete and re-fork the repo?

2) In addition, I have a localhost install of mybb 1.7, how do I update that? Do I have to uninstall it and reinstall from a fresh clone?

Yeah, I'm totally new to Github, if you couldn't tell. Toungue
I'm not sure what you're using, but you need to fetch updates. Open a shell and run:

$ git fetch origin

// If you haven't made changes to your rep
$ git merge origin/[master|stable|feature]

// If you have made changes to your repo
$ git rebase origin/[master|stable|feature]

Where origin is the name of your remote.

Depending on your computer you can setup symlinks but it's probably easier to just copy, paste, and re-install. Just remember to export anything you've done so it can be added back in. Smile
I tried fetching and rebasing - from the feature branch, with my remote named origin (that is what it's called) - and it didn't update. I also checked my version at GitHub, still not updated. Sad I'm using GitHub for Windows, if it makes any difference.
This is what I use for syncing a fork: https://help.github.com/articles/syncing-a-fork
You could just download the zip of the MyBB/MyBB repo but don't update the following ./inc/settings.php, ./inc/config.php and ./inc/plugins/