MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Pros and Cons of VPS?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering what are some pros and cons of having a MyBB board on a VPS? Please give me personal opinions and not stuff from Wikipedia or such articles.
Do you need a VPS? If not there is little pros. It's more expensive than shared but cheaper than a dedicated. If you get an unmanaged one it can be hard to wrap your head around everything without a control panel. Even if you have one it's your responsibility to make sure it's up to date and secure.
(2013-01-31, 11:59 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Do you need a VPS? If not there is little pros. It's more expensive than shared but cheaper than a dedicated. If you get an unmanaged one it can be hard to wrap your head around everything without a control panel. Even if you have one it's your responsibility to make sure it's up to date and secure.

So VPS are kind of a headache in other words?
No, it's a powerful tool at lower cost than a dedicated if you know what your doing. The key is knowing what your doing or being willing to learn. You can also get a managed one but it's more expensive.
Oh ok and what control panel would you recommend for a newbie like me?
1. Limited access to some low level functions which may or may not affect you. These limitations are not present on dedicated hardware.
2. If you don't have a firm understanding of system administration and management, things may be worse in terms of performance, security, and stability. This doesn't necessarily apply to managed hosting but it still can.
3. If one VPS on the server peaks and uses a lot of resources, you may see the affect of that. This shouldn't occur for most decent VPS providers.
4. If the whole node goes down, every VPS on the server goes down. If you have multiple instances (vps01, vps02, etc..) on the same server then you risk them all being offline (unless there is a datacenter-wide issue, but this is uncommon for dedicated servers).
for a newb admin, WHM/cPanel is the easiest.

VPS is a like shared hosting where your VPS is sharing hardware with other VPS accounts on the same hardware

VPS is not like shared in that rather than having a single site you pay for without any control over the server, you get control over the server and you can have an many sites as you like.

VPS is like a dedicated server in terms of control, but you are sharing hardware resources rather than having control over it all
Exactly as pavemen said. I also recommend you cPanel if you say that you are a newb. I bought my first VPS last year and bought it with cPanel. But keep in mind that a VPS with cPanel is usually more expensive.

I'll move on to a dedicated soon, without cPanel though. When you get the experience, it's the best in my opinion.
Thanks everyone especially Nathan and Paveman for breaking it down into simpler words.