MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrading to Ubuntu Quantal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Right now, my VPS is running Precise Pangolin, and I just wanted to get some opinions about whether I should upgrade.

Right now, here's my position: Upgrading would be good, mainly to get the newer repos, but the risk of something going catastrophically wrong is there. 12.04 was also an LTS release.

Could I use quantal repos with precise, or do I need to upgrade to do that? Should I make the upgrade?

Edit: thanks to whichever staff member moved this Wink.
I have 12.10 on my VPS - To use .htaccess files I had to balls around with the Apache VirtualDirectory config file.

Wouldn't be too bad if it did break though, would it?
It wouldn't be catastrophic since I don't have many people viewing GV daily. If I broke it doing this tonight or tomorrow or something, it would be bad because it could take me several days to fix everything and get the configuration working how I like again.

Catastrophic was an overstatement. Maybe "extremely annoying and unprofessional of me".

Anyone know about nginx and PHP 5.4 compatibility on Quantal? It seems to be okay on my dev machine here at home, but a transition could introduce errors, from my experiences.
(2013-02-07, 03:04 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone know about nginx and PHP 5.4 compatibility on Quantal? It seems to be okay on my dev machine here at home, but a transition could introduce errors, from my experiences.

I don't Use NginX, so I can't help you there.
I would use apache if it wasn't so much less efficient than nginx.
(2013-02-07, 03:14 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]I would use apache if it wasn't so much less efficient than nginx.

I know, Apache isn't great, but it does work and is simple, so for people like me who don't have the time to fix things, it works.
Nginx doesn't tend to require fixing, except the rewriting or URLs seems more complex. nginx and PHP-FPM + Percona MySQL work well for me. I can serve 61 concurrent users the index page of GV on a 512M VPS with little to no optimizations.
Stick with the LTS is my recommendation. I always do for the sake of the long term support.
I would second sticking with LTS for a server. The only time I wouldn't is if you had rolling release distro which means there isn't any huge updates and just a ton of small ones.
On a side note about PHP 5.4, MyBB won't be fully compatible with it until 1.6.10. You'll get random warnings here or there.
Pages: 1 2