MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Autofocus on newthread/newreply
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is just an idea I had this morning, but I think it would help make MyBB boards a lot more friendly to those who don't know much about forums.

newthread
When you load the newthread page, there's actually a lot of content to look at. Those who are accustomed to forums like you and me have no trouble automatically clicking on the subject, and then going to the body. My idea is, why not have the Thread Subject field load on autofocus?

newreply
The same goes for newreply. Even though most of the time, people use the quick reply, I think the message area should be loaded on autofocus on the newreply page.

What are your thoughts on this?
You can do this yourself easily (I have done it). This is a theme thing, not a software thing.
I understand that, I always do it to my themes. I'm suggesting that it's done to the default theme though. I feel like theme developers model after the default theme in many cases. Plus, I don't really see a reason why it isn't like this isn't the default theme.
Default theme is done. The entire point of custom theme designs is to improve things. We could be here for weeks making the 1.8 default theme better but what's the point when most users aren't going to run it?

Theme designers use it as a base, but they have to be held accountable for their own good or bad design decisions.
(2013-02-09, 11:00 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Default theme is done. The entire point of custom theme designs is to improve things. We could be here for weeks making the 1.8 default theme better but what's the point when most users aren't going to run it?

Theme designers use it as a base, but they have to be held accountable for their own good or bad design decisions.

In the same train of thought, the MyBB team should be held accountable for good or bad design decisions. :/

You can't just throw standard design choices out the window because it's a default theme.
Except the design is not a core part of the MyBB product, IMO at least. It's just there because it has to be.
(2013-02-10, 03:09 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]In the same train of thought, the MyBB team should be held accountable for good or bad design decisions. :/

You can't just throw standard design choices out the window because it's a default theme.

I agree. Whether or not it's going to be used, I think people will recognize it as an idea that they haven't thought of. If not including it is such a poor design choice, then why do almost no themes use it?
Because most theme designers are just skinners.
(2013-02-10, 04:14 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Because most theme designers are just skinners.

That would make a lot of sense. Well thanks for your input. I appreciate your work with trying to humanize MyBB, that's actually where I got my inspiration for this idea. Smile