MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is MyBB a dead project?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2013-02-21, 11:41 AM)Gizbeat Wrote: [ -> ]As well, the lack of a favicon at mods.mybb.com is strangely unprofessional given the high profile of MyBB...

The mods site will be deprecated in the near future. It generally isn't maintained any longer.

We are only a small team and not everyone has the time or access to manage every aspect of the project.
Gizbeat, as long as there is an active presence of staff on the forums & active development/bug fixes, I would say the project is fine.
I'm aware of it now... I'm just saying how it looked to me when I was trying to choose forum software. And at this point is meant as constructive criticism...

It shouldn't take more than 3 minutes to add a favicon and fix the links in Justin's thread....

If it was just a "normal" theme developer, I wouldn't think twice about it, but this is the guy who's developing 1.8's theme and the links in his thread are broken and lead to quite old news regarding 1.8's release... Yea, people who are already involved in the community understand, but try and see it from someone's eyes who's looking for BB software and a theme and are likely to come across Justin's thread and the mod section. It just looks sloppy for software that's got such a big face...

Regarding free themes, well that's an entirely different issue I suppose that is more up to the community than MyBB group.

Sorry if I've stepped on any toes...I'm more than happy with the software, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
(2013-02-21, 02:48 PM)Gizbeat Wrote: [ -> ]It shouldn't take more than 3 minutes to add a favicon and fix the links in Justin's thread....

Actually it would. Server access is limited to certain people.

Regarding Justin's Apart theme for 1.6, it's not an official MyBB theme. Yes, it's being used as a base for the 1.8 theme but it's entirely up to Justin if he wants to support it or not. It's his theme and not the responsibility of the team to maintain.
Also, remember... everyone thats on the staff volunteers.
They all have a private life and a work life... but there is always something going on.

Developers developing bug fixes and features. SQA looking for bugs and suggesting any fixes, Support helping the members, etc.

It's by no means a dead project and good things come to those who wait Smile
To clear some things up:

The links/images in my Apart thread were broken because I seemed to miss those files when I moved my personal website to a new server. I've since fixed them, though I am still no longer supposing Apart for 1.6.

The statement saying the theme is no longer supported is there because I simply no longer have the time to provide regular support to the theme - before making that announcement I was already failing to provide support, so I wanted to make sure it was clear that the theme isn't being adtively supported by me.

This has nothing to do with 1.8 or its status - if you look at 1.8 on GitHub, you'll notice the new theme based on Apart is already there. The fact that I no longer am supporting a theme that I released more than 2 years ago is largely irrelevant.
(2013-02-21, 02:54 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-21, 02:48 PM)Gizbeat Wrote: [ -> ]It shouldn't take more than 3 minutes to add a favicon and fix the links in Justin's thread....

It wouldn't take longer than a few minutes for someone with server access
(2013-02-21, 11:45 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-21, 02:54 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]

It wouldn't take longer than a few minutes for someone with server access

But the process to get someone with server access to complete this task takes time. It's not high priority and by the time they get around to it the site would probably be deprecated anyway...

A favicon is the least of our worries. There are more important things to do.
Sure doesn't seem dead...
Pages: 1 2 3