MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Online courses
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

What do you think about it? Smile I have found many interesting courses, but i am not sure should i spent my free time on them. Everything is free, and when you finish some course you get certificate for that course, but now another question when i apply for job, do I have some advantage when i show my certificate from online course? As you can site on sites i mentioned above Harvard is there, Berkeley and much more...
EdX and Coursera caught a glimpse of the future of education. It's also worth mentioning Khan Academy which I think played a big role in the movement for free worldwide education. I just love the entire concept. I use EdX myself to watch tons of lectures. And I use Khan Academy all the time. MIT's YouTube channel has loads of free material too.

(2013-02-11, 11:34 AM)JovanJ. Wrote: [ -> ]when i apply for job, do I have some advantage when i show my certificate from online course?

I would guess it's not totally appreciated yet, but this is very likely to change in the near future, as the idea of a free global education grows. Why should someone who can't afford an education have less credentials than some rich kid who got to go to Harvard?

Another aspect to consider is the type of job you're applying for. Within the programming/web development world, an education certificate (online or not) couldn't be more meaningless if you ask me. Sure, it's good to know you got the theory down, but a link to your GitHub account or TopCoder rating is much more valuable in this case. Build innovative stuff, create new projects, etc. and point these things out in your portfolio.
Thank for mentioning Khan Academy and MIT's Youtube channel Smile

(2013-02-11, 12:02 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]I would guess it's not totally appreciated yet, but this is very likely to change in the near future, as the idea of a free global education grows. Why should someone who can't afford an education have less credentials than some rich kid who got to go to Harvard?

Another aspect to consider is the type of job you're applying for. Within the programming/web development world, an education certificate (online or not) couldn't be more meaningless if you ask me. Sure, it's good to know you got the theory down, but a link to your GitHub account or TopCoder rating is much more valuable in this case. Build innovative stuff, create new projects, etc. and point these things out in your portfolio.

That's true, but people are weird this days. But if i have a task next to theory to also make something in some language like a mini project, what about that? Is that count like a advantage? Also on those sites there is only a theory no something practical?
+1 for Khan Academy. It's been backed by Google and Bill Gates for years. I've obtained knowledge of various other subjects such as Maths, etc from it and it's a wonderful resource.