MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Shared Hosting vs VPS?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Which is better for hosting a site? Shared hosting or a Open VZ VPS running CentOS?
Maybe read on the Internet a little?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/wiki/Virtu...ate_Server
IMO VPS (managed or you could manage it yourself) are far more better as compared to shared hosts.
It really depends on whether you have the knowledge to effectively manage a VPS.

If you want to try a hybrid sort of thing, multiple people have recommended WebFaction here, and I may end up switching to them this summer.

It has kinda the ease of shared, but a lot of the flexibility of VPS by my understanding.
Webfaction is amazing! So glad I found them and spread the word(other one is Euan after he joined them on my recommendation). But I wouldn't recommend them for someone who is new and just looking for php/mysql hosting since their cp is not nearly as friendly as cPanel or DirectAdmin.
(2013-02-13, 01:52 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Webfaction is amazing! So glad I found them and spread the word(other one is Euan after he joined them on my recommendation). But I wouldn't recommend them for someone who is new and just looking for php/mysql hosting since their cp is not nearly as friendly and cPanel or DirectAdmin.

+1 for WebFaction for experienced users. I can't fault them at all (especially with the newer plans they're offering and the database changes they've made recently).