MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mail Errors - Intermittent
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm getting a variety of mail errors intermittently. 90% are the first error:

The mail server does not understand the RCPT TO command. Reason: N/A
The mail server does not understand the MAIL FROM command. Reason: N/A
The SMTP server rejected the supplied login username and password. Reason: 435 Unable to authenticate at present
MyBB was unable to authenticate you against the SMTP server

Members are reporting that they are getting subscription notifications though. Most of the issues have been on reset password emails.

Is this a server issue?

Thank you!
Lindsay
Seems like it's a login credential/server issue, what email service provider are you using? I've only seen stuff like this happen when using wrong credentials on say Google.
If subscription notifications are from a plugin the plugin might be using your php to send emails instead of the login credentials you gave in MyBB.. just throwing out some ideas.
I'm using my hosting services SMTP email. Which is pretty awful and usually takes 15 minutes or more to send.

Most subscription notifications are getting through, but every few days one or two notifications return the first error above. Notifications are using the built in notification system.
Errors always seems to be happening on password reset requests though.

Should I just re-route everything through gmail?
Another user has similar issues http://community.mybb.com/thread-134444.html
Yes, go through Google for email.

I'd open a Google apps domain account and setup a DKIM key and use their services for all emails... it's free, fast, and just better.