MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Database backup problem [CentOS]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to backup two databases in my VPS so then I can download them on my new dedicated. I'm doing it with SSH. I've tried the mysqldump command and both the databases were .sql files with around 30mb, which is a wrong value. One of them has (as I can see in phpmyadmin) ~50mb, and the other one ~150mb. Which is weird, since their sizes are so much different but yet the sql files that it gives me are almost the same size.

I don't get it. Does MySQL have some kind of limit?

And I know that the size must be wrong because I already dumped one of them in the new server and things are missing.

I don't really want to use phpmyadmin to download them to my computer, since I'm using a slow internet connection at the moment. I also believe that it will give me the same problem.

I'm using CentOS.

Thanks, I need to sort this out asap, it's the only thing that's giving me problems.
Depending on how MySQL is configured you might have luck with using rsync to transfer /var/lib/mysql/* from the VPS to /var/lib/mysql/ on the dedicated server (or where ever your MySQL data directory is located). I've done that a few times.
(2013-02-16, 12:42 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Depending on how MySQL is configured you might have luck with using rsync to transfer /var/lib/mysql/* from the VPS to /var/lib/mysql/ on the dedicated server (or where ever your MySQL data directory is located). I've done that a few times.

I've never done that before and from a quick search there are many tutorials on that. Which one do you recommend me?

EDIT: I'm running rsync -av -e ssh username@oldserverhost:/home/old_home/ /home/new_home/ at the moment, let's see if everything goes well. Smile

EDIT2: Seems like everything is alright with the rsync. Thank you!
Ya rsync is the easiest way to back up a server imo.