MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Banner
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What's up with he MyBB banner ? It looks terrible, outdated and something from the 90's. It reminds me of something I'd see in my granny's house, an old picture from years ago. I think MyBB needs to start looking more sophisticated and modern and at the moment it's not. And to be honest, 1.8 isn't looking to hot either. With 2.0 a way off, MyBB is going to look outdated for a long time at his rate.
Thanks for your comments.

Throughout the 1.8 development phase MyBB.com will itself also be re-developed with the aim of improving our services to our users (old and new). We have used one of (if not the) most popular themes as a base for 1.8. We are already seeing a number of high-quality and modern themes for MyBB from talented designers and, with the upgrade to jQuery and theme changes in our next feature version, we hope these will continue. After all, users are free to install or make themes to make their forum stand out.

The header banner is only temporary.
(2013-02-18, 10:02 AM)Jambuster Wrote: [ -> ]What's up with he MyBB banner ? It looks terrible, outdated and something from the 90's. It reminds me of something I'd see in my granny's house, an old picture from years ago. I think MyBB needs to start looking more sophisticated and modern and at the moment it's not. And to be honest, 1.8 isn't looking to hot either. With 2.0 a way off, MyBB is going to look outdated for a long time at his rate.

Great observation, any brilliant suggestions then?
Everybody is entitled to an opinion. I don't agree with part of this, however. The 1.6 logo does look dated, but remember, it was designed several years ago. AFAIK, MyBB hasn't gone through any rebranding since 1.4 (I wasn't a user of MyBB back then, though). MyBB's logo looks a lot better in 1.8.
(2013-02-18, 10:02 AM)Jambuster Wrote: [ -> ]What's up with he MyBB banner ? It looks terrible, outdated and something from the 90's. It reminds me of something I'd see in my granny's house, an old picture from years ago. I think MyBB needs to start looking more sophisticated and modern and at the moment it's not. And to be honest, 1.8 isn't looking to hot either. With 2.0 a way off, MyBB is going to look outdated for a long time at his rate.

lol WTF... seriously? And where's your design degree or training to go along with these comments? All that is needed is, "Hey, the logo I think needs to be modernized and more professional".

I want to say I agree that the 1.6x MyBB logo is quite low quality BUT it's cool how it kinda looks like a face/cartoon head. The MyBB 1.8 logo I think looks phenomenally better and I'm glad it was updated. An option for 2.0 IMO should have desing go to a Logo Design Guru website (or similar high quality design bid site) job bid with the same licensing as MyBB.
the bid could be made public and a POLL could be made for users to vote on what they feel is the best overall design out of all the bid offers for the job. I don't think it can be more community driven with the highest possible design quality than that route. What do you guys (members who've been here a while) think about that?
I think having a designer(or group of designers I guess) like Audentio who have been part of the community for a long time doing it like we did with 1.8 was great.

Personally I don't see why people really care what the mybb logo looks like in all honesty. It has little effect on the product and no effect on your site.
@Alex I think it's just a matter of pride. For those of us that love this platform... well.. I'll speak for myself.. I'd want a logo to be proud of for the forum platform that I'm proud to be a contributor/user/and member of.

A competing team of talented but impartial designers can produce the greatest variety of high quality designs more so than a single design small firm can.. most of the time but not all. I respect the idea of going with a design from a community member. But I'd also look into the design job bid option if $200 was not a problem which is the average cost for a ton of quality design drafts. With no extra cost for choosing one of the designer sets and going with it. Normally there's a couple redrafts/alterations for that price too. Just an idea.

Edit:
just to make clear, I'm happy with the 1.8 logo.. I'm speaking of 2.0+ era to come.
I have a feeling the OP is taking about the header banner on this site, which I guess really isn't that important... It rotates occasionally.
Oh, well I think the banner with the tree and the hill in the background is majestic Big Grin
Mesa likes.