MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can't figure out how to run installer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know this is a probably a dumb question, but I searched the forum and couldn't find the answer.

I've uploaded the files to my website with FileZilla, but when I go to http://mennonitegenealogyforum.com/forum/install/ in Google Chrome to start the installation, I get the error message HTTP 404 - File not found. This is a new installation and my web host is Future Quest. My website is mennonitegenealogyforum.com.

I tried to attach a screen shot from the FTP utility but I wasn't able to figure out how to do that.

Thanks,
Steve
I suggest double checking where you uploaded the files within the public_html folder as the 404 error means it can't find the index.php file at http://mennonitegenealogyforum.com/forum/install/. This means you've probably placed the files in a different directory than /public_html/forum/.

EDIT: Regarding adding an attachment, simply go to the "Attachments" part when making a thread/reply, then at the row saying search "New Attachment:", click the button to look for it on your desktop. After having selected the file, press "add attachment".
I created a folder called public_html, but I still get the same error when I navigate to it in Google Chrome.

I've attached a screen shot from Google Chrome showing the error on the web site [attachment=28631]

Here's a screen shot from Filezilla [attachment=28632]

and of the File Manager from the Future Quest control panel [attachment=28633]

Steve
Are you sure you have uploaded all the files?

Also, you shouldn't need to create your own public_html file, there should be one available by default.
Hello,

Take a look at the path where you are uploading those files... the domain name is different than the one you typed into your browser.
There was a directory called www to which I had to upload the files. I figured it out because there was a stats directory, a 404.html file, an index.fquest file, and a couple other things that were creating the placeholder screen that I was seeing. When I viewed those files in my FileManager on the site's control panel, I saw the information that was on the placeholder. So I created a forum directory within that one, and it worked.

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions.

Steve