MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Better and More Efficient Plugins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I Think there should be more Plugins.
That's really up to plugin authors.

You could be one! Be part of the solution. Smile
(2013-02-20, 12:50 AM)Ryan Loos Wrote: [ -> ]That's really up to plugin authors.

You could be one! Be part of the solution. Smile

+1. Thats what drives an open-source project.

There are a lot of plugins for MyBB... if there is one you want... request it. The plugin authors can't come up with every idea for a plugin so help them out a bit Wink
The only people who have control over that, are the plugin authors. And, what Conor said. Plugin authors mainly make plugins that are for their use, and they give it to others to also contribute. They don't sit around thinking about what to do most likely, they do what they need to do.
(2013-02-28, 07:48 PM)Lith Wrote: [ -> ]The only people who have control over that, are the plugin authors. And, what Conor said. Plugin authors mainly make plugins that are for their use, and they give it to others to also contribute. They don't sit around thinking about what to do most likely, they do what they need to do.

I do, but I'm one of the odd ones out Wink
(2013-02-28, 10:20 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-28, 07:48 PM)Lith Wrote: [ -> ]The only people who have control over that, are the plugin authors. And, what Conor said. Plugin authors mainly make plugins that are for their use, and they give it to others to also contribute. They don't sit around thinking about what to do most likely, they do what they need to do.

I do, but I'm one of the odd ones out Wink

:b, it's always worth the time to think about what you can do with MyBB, I would be doing that too lol.
One of the biggest challenges is coming up with a decent idea. Also, getting feedback from admins as to what they want out of plugins is something that I find necessary for a well-rounded plugin.

I think there should be more plugins-- if that means new, unique plugins that meet a need then fine. Or even new takes on existing plugins if it adds something useful.

Most of all you must consider that creating a plugin is also a kind of contract. You as the author are always responsible for supporting your plugin. This can be a daunting task.

You can help by downloading existing plugins, testing them and giving the author feedback (preferably in a gracious manner).

I do actually think about interesting plugins to code, not necessarily for my self. I end out writing mostly for myself though. Smile
I'd say half the plugins I wrote are of no use to me, probably more than half Toungue
<removed>