MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What web hosting service do I need? (Look at my description)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am wondering if I should buy a domain at GoDaddy.com and then upload my forum through FTP. I'm thinking about buying the Ultimate Package.

My main concern is that if it offer a cPanel where I can make a database and add the forum to it which I don't know how to do. I've been using 000webhost.com if it's the same as that?

The thing is, I want to be able to have a website with a builder and then a page called "Forums" which I can move the MyBB into it. But I want everything integrated with MyBB such as making a website page where I can make a subscription for "Mod" section on the MyBB.

I don't know, I really need help and I am thinking about doing it tomorrow.
Please help me and I will rep!!!
Based your description of your plans you won't be ready to do all this tomorrow. You have to bunker down and do a lot of learning imo.
(2013-02-20, 05:52 AM)VisualizeForums Wrote: [ -> ]I am wondering if I should buy a domain at GoDaddy.com and then upload my forum through FTP. I'm thinking about buying the Ultimate Package.

My main concern is that if it offer a cPanel where I can make a database and add the forum to it which I don't know how to do. I've been using 000webhost.com if it's the same as that?

The thing is, I want to be able to have a website with a builder and then a page called "Forums" which I can move the MyBB into it. But I want everything integrated with MyBB such as making a website page where I can make a subscription for "Mod" section on the MyBB.

The first thing I would say is "stay away from Go Daddy", they can be a lot of hassle.

Unless you have a massive membership already you will not need any hosts "Ultimate" package, the thing to remember in the forum/website world is that people are more willing to let you upgrade than they will be to let you down grade.
Integration can be as easy as a link, or as complicated as full intergration, if you are not able to code it yourself, you will have to be willing to part with a few $$$'s.

If you don't know a lot about databases and Cpanel, then your best way to set up is by FTP, that way you only have to name a database, and who is going to use it.

Have a look at Hawkhost.com, Hostgator.com ( I think) and simplexhost.com all are very reasonable, have good prices and free ticket support.
(2013-02-20, 02:43 PM)Spangle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-20, 05:52 AM)VisualizeForums Wrote: [ -> ]I am wondering if I should buy a domain at GoDaddy.com and then upload my forum through FTP. I'm thinking about buying the Ultimate Package.

The first thing I would say is "stay away from Go Daddy", they can be a lot of hassle.

Unless you have a massive membership already you will not need any hosts "Ultimate" package, the thing to remember in the forum/website world is that people are more willing to let you upgrade than they will be to let you down grade.
Integration can be as easy as a link, or as complicated as full intergration, if you are not able to code it yourself, you will have to be willing to part with a few $$$'s.

If you don't know a lot about databases and Cpanel, then your best way to set up is by FTP, that way you only have to name a database, and who is going to use it.

Have a look at Hawkhost.com, Hostgator.com ( I think) and simplexhost.com all are very reasonable, have good prices and free ticket support.

I had to do the same thing with 000webhost.com and I have a pretty good knowledge. And yes I'm going to be using Hostgator.com. They are pretty cheap and offer the cPanel and databases. Yes I'm using FTP FileZilla for my forum.
You can use a CMS like Joomla! or Wordpress if you want integration.
Although many complain about GoDaddy, I've been using them as a registrar for years, and I haven't had any issues. I've never used their hosting though, and never would
(2013-02-25, 09:02 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Although many complain about GoDaddy, I've been using them as a registrar for years, and I haven't had any issues. I've never used their hosting though, and never would

I agree.

Although I would not use their domain registrar for personal reasons, I would no way in hell touch their hosting. The issue with their hosting is they oversell to the extreme. Overselling, in the web hosting world, is when you pack so many people onto one server, the server load increases and every single website suffers. Go Daddy, being the wonderful corporation that they are, love to cram as many websites onto their servers as possible, in order to make the maximum amount of money and profit from their servers. The issue is, they are probably the biggest company in webhosting, if you don't count Endurance Int. Group who recently acquired HostGator (Which I am not sure if they would be able to compete with Go Daddy). When you are the biggest company, it doesn't matter how many websites you pack onto one server, your still going to be making a huge profit because they have a huge amount of the market share. SO there's my rant.
(2013-02-26, 03:35 AM)Init Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-25, 09:02 AM)Tom K. Wrote: [ -> ]Although many complain about GoDaddy, I've been using them as a registrar for years, and I haven't had any issues. I've never used their hosting though, and never would

I agree.

Although I would not use their domain registrar for personal reasons, I would no way in hell touch their hosting. The issue with their hosting is they oversell to the extreme. Overselling, in the web hosting world, is when you pack so many people onto one server, the server load increases and every single website suffers. Go Daddy, being the wonderful corporation that they are, love to cram as many websites onto their servers as possible, in order to make the maximum amount of money and profit from their servers. The issue is, they are probably the biggest company in webhosting, if you don't count Endurance Int. Group who recently acquired HostGator (Which I am not sure if they would be able to compete with Go Daddy). When you are the biggest company, it doesn't matter how many websites you pack onto one server, your still going to be making a huge profit because they have a huge amount of the market share. SO there's my rant.

This is why I went with Bihira. They don't oversell -- for the most part the load on the server I'm on is consistently <1.5. Often it's below 1. Smile