MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Glossary/Dictionary
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I run a hobbyist website and we have a lot of abbreviations, acronyms, and technical terms. It'd be cool if the forum could parse the posts and create an acronym tag-like hover over certain entries to pop-up a definition.

Obviously, you wouldn't want to use the actual acronym html tag as its support is spotty at best, but that's basically the way I'd hope it would work. Someone mouses over "WWW" for instance, and a little hover window will say "World Wide Web".

The words and their definitions could be customized in the adminCP
This might be a nice plugin or something, but not a standard feature of MyBB. I would classify this a bloat, because this wouldn't be a feature everybody would benefit from.

It's a neat idea tho. Smile
Thanks, I appreciate the consideration.

Though I'm not sure I agree that most people wouldn't benefit. Most places have a forum for a specific topic, right? Do they not each have their own acronyms and tech terms? Whether it be cars, video games, hobbies, fan sites, software support, etc... They've all got their own lingo. Imagine on this forum if AdminCP had a popup that said "Admin Control Panel".

I appreciate the technical perspective, too, though. I've programmed a few web apps in my day, so I feel the pain. I don't think this would be bloated since it's the same code as the smiley feature- yet it's more useful. Instead of searching for : - ) and replacing it with a graphic of a smiley face, you're searching for a certain word and replacing it with a short blip of code which produces a popup definition.
It can be done with current MyBB installation:

Create a new custom MyCode:
RegExp:
(yourtechnicalterm)
Replacement:
<acronym title="Definition of your technical term">$1</acronym>

If you don't want to use the acronym tag, then insert your own Javascript or whatever Wink Acronym tag has always been working fine for me.
this can be a added feature, well what is that everyone would have a forum of some topics and he can add a glossary for his topic.

It would be nice if it is added, the only drawback is the load time.

we can keep it in defualt turned off and if needed CAN BE TURNED ON.
Yes custom mycode can be turned on and off.
just spotted this thread as i as about to ask about acronyms.

In my current phpbb board i use the acronyms module to help explain photographic terms. If i move to mybb i'd like to retain that.
Well as far as I know there is no "acronyms plugin" for MyBB as of yet. So you'd probably have to manually convert them to the custom MyCode, or find another way.