MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: CSS over LAN & WAN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
MyBB Version : 1.6.8
PHP Version : 5.1.6
SQL Engine : MySQL 5.0.77

My Server has 2 NICs:
1 for LAN (192.168.1.x)
1 for WAN (182.x.x.x)

When accessing MyBB over LAN, everything works great.
When accessing MyBB over WAN, CSS does not load.

Another observation:
MyBB > Admin everything works great over LAN & WAN

MyBB > Admin > Configuration > General Configuration > Board URL
I have experimented keeping this field blank & populating it with the LAN IP of MyBB. No help.

Any help, resolution or pointers are welcome.

Thx
Sans
Issue is on your end with your overcomplicated setup.

You don't put board URL blank or LAN IP. You use the BOARD URL!!!!
(2013-02-20, 06:17 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Issue is on your end with your overcomplicated setup.

I fail to understand how is my setup "overcomplicated".
Anyways, I am seeking help, suggestions. Prevent any judgements and save our world from unwanted carbon emissions.

(2013-02-20, 06:17 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]You don't put board URL blank or LAN IP. You use the BOARD URL!!!!
As mentioned previous, I have tried with blank and putting board url (with LAN IP). Sorry if I was not ambiguous.

Let me rephrase my query:
How can I setup MyBB to be able to access it over 2 different IP addresses without breaking the CSS.

Thx & Rgds,
Sans
Use a host name in your board url; you can configure the DNS of your LAN to resolve it to the LAN IP while outside the LAN it will resolve to your public IP. Voila, it will work for both LAN and WAN.
(2013-02-20, 07:00 AM)laie_techie Wrote: [ -> ]Use a host name in your board url; you can configure the DNS of your LAN to resolve it to the LAN IP while outside the LAN it will resolve to your public IP. Voila, it will work for both LAN and WAN.

This is a good solution and will work. I shall try this.
Meanwhile, anything which can be done to enable MyBB server CSS to requests coming from any source ?
Why do you need to access the site via LAN? What's wrong with having it WAN configured?

And that's why you are over complicating things. MyBB is a website software not meant as an internal network software.

Quote:I have tried with blank and putting board url (with LAN IP)

And what about WAN IP? Or an actual URL? It's a Board_URL config not a BOARD_IP config.

Quote:Board URL
The url to your forums.
Include the http://. Do NOT include a trailing slash.

So of course parts don't work...you're not following the instructions.
(2013-02-20, 08:23 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Why do you need to access the site via LAN? What's wrong with having it WAN configured?

If I am sitting in my office and my server is located in the same office, it makes logical sense to "me" to access the server over the lan than over the wan.

(2013-02-20, 08:23 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]And that's why you are over complicating things. MyBB is a website software not meant as an internal network software.
If this is true, then its my bad to start this thread!!
Fortunately, I live in the world where applications are developed to simply work, immaterial of where they are installed or from where they are accessed.

Quote:So of course parts don't work...you're not following the instructions.
There you go again... judgmental!!
Pls get your facts straight before commenting.
Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_resource_locator to learn whats a URL
Quote:If I am sitting in my office and my server is located in the same office, it makes logical sense to "me" to access the server over the lan than over the wan.

You can set the site to run from WAN but change your hosts file to point to the LAN IP.

Quote:There you go again... judgmental!!
Pls get your facts straight before commenting.

A URL is NOT an IP address. It's not.

And yes I'm judging you. I'm helping you too. You decide what's more important to you. Arguing or listening.

Quote:Fortunately, I live in the world where applications are developed to simply work, immaterial of where they are installed or from where they are accessed.

It does "simply work" if you simply follow instructions. Enter the URL of the site. Done.