MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Banshee PHP framework
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2013-02-24, 03:36 AM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]The current major contender is not actually one that list.

Banshee confirmed! Big Grin

Just kidding, most likely Laravel...
(2013-02-24, 05:20 AM)html_nerd Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-24, 03:36 AM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]The current major contender is not actually one that list.

Banshee confirmed! Big Grin

Just kidding, most likely Laravel...

I wish it is. Read few tutorials from Dayle Rees's site. Laravel is great. Smile
Laravel would be great for MyBB. The syntax is expressive and easy to understand, just like MyBB aims to be right now, Blade would be a really cool template engine to use, bundles seem a lot like plugins, so the structure really fits, in my opinion.
I can neither confirm nor deny that rumor...
We have several frameworks on our list. Until we start early development there isn't a dire need to put our efforts behind a single one - we learnt that mistake with Yii.
(2013-02-24, 11:50 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]We have several frameworks on our list. Until we start early development there isn't a dire need to put our efforts behind a single one - we learnt that mistake with Yii.

Just out of curiosity, what happened to Yii (I presume you are refering to the upcoming v2) that made it unsuitable to MyBB future efforts? Was it a change in direction or it was taking too long to develop? Does it have anything to do with ease of use and would somewhat undermine third party plugin development?
(2013-02-25, 05:46 PM)html_nerd Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-24, 11:50 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]We have several frameworks on our list. Until we start early development there isn't a dire need to put our efforts behind a single one - we learnt that mistake with Yii.

Just out of curiosity, what happened to Yii (I presume you are refering to the upcoming v2) that made it unsuitable to MyBB future efforts? Was it a change in direction or it was taking too long to develop? Does it have anything to do with ease of use and would somewhat undermine third party plugin development?

IIRC the problem was that Yii 2 is still in development and doesn't look like it's going to be released for a while. It's also not backwards compatible with Yii 1.x which is what we started 2.0 in.
So why not make a framework only for MyBB like with the 1.x series. I guess you don't want to spend to much time developing something that is already there. But since it has worked for 1.x why won't it work just as well for the 2.x series (2.0).
(2013-02-25, 05:50 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-25, 05:46 PM)html_nerd Wrote: [ -> ]

IIRC the problem was that Yii 2 is still in development and doesn't look like it's going to be released for a while. It's also not backwards compatible with Yii 1.x which is what we started 2.0 in.
My point.

You never know when third party frameworks jumps off the ship.
(2013-02-25, 06:34 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]So why not make a framework only for MyBB like with the 1.x series. I guess you don't want to spend to much time developing something that is already there. But since it has worked for 1.x why won't it work just as well for the 2.x series (2.0).

The 1.x system has been developed over 10+ years. We could develop something ourselves but it would take a lot longer to prototype, develop, test, audit, improve, and then finally build the forum around it. With a premade framework we have something which has been throughly tested, has good community support, is being actively developed, and reduces development time. The main reason for using a framework is to reduce development time which overall keeps everyone happy.
Pages: 1 2 3