MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Simple and easy suggestions for 2.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There are several simple features that I would like to see. I'm not a coding expert but most of these things should be super easy to add. The more control admins have, the better (to a point...)!

[Inline and regular] Move/Copy posts to other threads (There is a mod that allows moving but no copying. I would rather have the option to copy rather than move threads and posts because copying allows for moving, moving does not allow for copying. Surely it must be easy to change this seeing as copying should actually be easier to program because it does not involving deleting the original post.)

Inline Copy [multiple] threads to [one or more] destination(s) (without requiring a custom moderator tool that automatically sends the thread to a pre-specified forum)

Edit/change/modify thread ratings and user ratings (and lock specific threads from further change)

Change the date of posts and/or custom order the posts

Custom order threads (but still allow users to sort by standard means)

Allow admins and (at the discretion of the admins) mods to post as another user and/or change post author

Don't delete thread if first post is deleted
(2013-02-26, 02:21 PM)American Wrote: [ -> ]There are several simple features that I would like to see. I'm not a coding expert but most of these things should be super easy to add. The more control admins have, the better (to a point...)!

[Inline and regular] Move/Copy posts to other threads (There is a mod that allows moving but no copying. I would rather have the option to copy rather than move threads and posts because copying allows for moving, moving does not allow for copying. Surely it must be easy to change this seeing as copying should actually be easier to program because it does not involving deleting the original post.)

--> Majority of the forums try to prevent duplicate content / threads so unsure if this would benefit the majority. Maybe more as a plugin?

(2013-02-26, 02:21 PM)American Wrote: [ -> ]Edit/change/modify thread ratings and user ratings (and lock specific threads from further change)

--> Again I think this is more of a plugin. The majority wouldn't need / see a need to false ratings of threads etc... - Why would you want this feature anyways?

(2013-02-26, 02:21 PM)American Wrote: [ -> ]Change the date of posts and/or custom order the posts

--> I think this is also better as plugin, the majority wouldn't really need it & for the minority this can just be edited in the database via phpmyadmin quite easily.

(2013-02-26, 02:21 PM)American Wrote: [ -> ]Custom order threads (but still allow users to sort by standard means)

--> Right now MyBB 1.6 supports for the user to choose the order of threads (By clicking on their tab names in the thread list within a board) - Example: Clicking "Views" will sort all threads by the number of views. If you was after something else or for another custom order, I apologize what is it you are after?

(2013-02-26, 02:21 PM)American Wrote: [ -> ]Allow admins and (at the discretion of the admins) mods to post as another user and/or change post author

--> I'd be surprised if this made it in as a core feature. Sounds much more suited as a plugin.

(2013-02-26, 02:21 PM)American Wrote: [ -> ]Don't delete thread if first post is deleted

--> Not sure how this would work (which post takes priority in becoming the new main thread)
(2013-02-28, 07:49 PM)Alex - Arvixe Wrote: [ -> ]--> Majority of the forums try to prevent duplicate content / threads so unsure if this would benefit the majority. Maybe more as a plugin?

Clearly this would not hurt the majority, nor would any of my suggestions. Rather, they would give administrators choices and admins would have the power to decide which choices their moderators should have. A custom moderator tool can allow inline copying to a specific forum and I don't see anyone up in arms over this, demanding that admins not have this option because many do not use it. I guess I just don't understand why it would be bad to replace the inline "move threads" option with "move/copy threads" just like the non-inline option. If this was the case, those who want to move multiple threads while leaving a copy behind could do so with just as much ease, while those who want to move multiple threads while leaving a copy behind would simply have the option to select the "copy thread" button, just as they currently do for non-inline moderation. This makes so much sense and would require basically no work to add and it would hurt nobody and it would make the inline and non-inline moderator options uniform.

The same reasoning demands that an option for copying posts be allowed.

Quote:--> Again I think this is more of a plugin. The majority wouldn't need / see a need to false ratings of threads etc... - Why would you want this feature anyways?

Again, this would be a super easy option to add and those who don't see a need for it could refrain from editing thread ratings with just as much ease as they do now. Administrators and moderators could automatically be denied this power and thus nothing would change but those who wanted to give themselves and/or moderators this power could go into the admin cp and activate this option. I would want this feature because I want to have the option to control my forum, whether I would frequently use that option or not.

Quote: --> I think this is also better as plugin, the majority wouldn't really need it & for the minority this can just be edited in the database via phpmyadmin quite easily.

Again, this is a super easy non-revolutionary feature to add that would give administrators more control. Moderators cannot access phpmyadmin, so how is an admin to give the powers to do this. Besides, I don't want to have to go to the database to make such a simple but important edit. Again, mods and admins could be denied this ability by default and only those of us who want to use it could activate it in the admin cp. I just don't see admins being outraged that they have an option they don't plan to use.

Quote: --> I'd be surprised if this made it in as a core feature. Sounds much more suited as a plugin.

See the above argument.

Quote:--> Not sure how this would work (which post takes priority in becoming the new main thread)

The next post, in chronological order would become the priority post. There's no reason why this cannot be an option for those deleting the first post in a thread in order to prevent the entire thread from being deleted. This may also make admins more comfortable with allowing users to delete their posts.
(2013-03-05, 05:52 AM)American Wrote: [ -> ]The next post, in chronological order would become the priority post. There's no reason why this cannot be an option for those deleting the first post in a thread in order to prevent the entire thread from being deleted.

Usually removing the first post from the thread would destroy the whole discussion anyway. It would also make the first person to reply the author of the thread which will cause issues.
The login as other users has been made as a plugin: http://mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=268