MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Improvements to moderator who's online view
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd like to see some improvements to the online page as viewed by a moderator, namely the ability to see user agent strings from there if possible in addition to IPs.
I would put this down as being more suitable as a plugin. Ask yourself why would all forum moderators need to know the user agent string? An IP is enough, the agent string is pritty much the OS and the browser the member is using.
IMO it does seem a bit excessive to include this idea in the core.
You can look in your server logs to see user agents... and you can block specific user agent strings in either MyBB or .htaccess. So... good idea but imo no vote from me to put in core.
(2013-02-28, 11:56 AM)WebDevandPhoto Wrote: [ -> ]IMO it does seem a bit excessive to include this idea in the core.
You can look in your server logs to see user agents... and you can block specific user agent strings in either MyBB or .htaccess. So... good idea but imo no vote from me to put in core.

The problem with this is that there is still a significant amount of people who don't have access to these logs; i.e.: moderators, admins without FTP/cPanel access, people on free forum hosting. Plus it also helps to weed out the user agent link spammer type bots.
@StingReay

Good point. But why should that burden fall on moderators or admins without the know how or ability to edit .htaccess files or see server logs?

Plus .htaccess denies would be the best way imo to block bad traffic.
You can also use Cloudflare for this type of filtering.
(2013-03-02, 03:33 AM)WebDevandPhoto Wrote: [ -> ]@StingReay

Good point. But why should that burden fall on moderators or admins without the know how or ability to edit .htaccess files or see server logs?

Plus .htaccess denies would be the best way imo to block bad traffic.
You can also use Cloudflare for this type of filtering.

What if we have a busy forum where the admin(s) with server access have stepped back and let the community take over? Clearly the other staff don't have access to this information, so it might be helpful to let them in some way.

In most cases CF and .htaccess filtering requires server access.
Maybe a plugin that writes to the .htaccess from admin CP would work in that case. That way admins without FTP or shell server access could make those changes. That's seems too much to dump onto a community to just up and say, "hey you're on your own I'm to busy to admin for this forum I own"... that's intense. I've no idea why anyone would do that... may as well sell the forum to someone who cares more for it.

But yea... agent string by itself really isn't too helpful without a means to do something with it.
A plugin should be made... but in that case.. server ftp access is needed to even upload it.. lol... so either way... it'd be a no go for that kind of forum, the owner would have to make those changes.