MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: access to pm.php disabled
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My host seems to have disabled access to pm.php and claims it was causing some kind of resource overage...

My first question is - What does this cause to STOP working? I noticed I CAN still send/receive PMs with no problem. I cannot seem to find an actual disadvantage to this page being disabled. What technically has stopped working, and do I even need to worry about this?

My next question is - does that even make sense to claim as a reason for too much "resource" being used? I've had my site running on this host for a while now and never had an issue before today. What do the experts here take this as? Is my host just trying to get me to pay more when other hosts would not have this issue? Seems to have come out of the clear blue and it seems strange to name that file as the culprit... What do you guys think?
I don't even see that file anywhere in my MyBB installation, what folder is it in? Also, do you have usage statistics available anywhere in your panel, to see if they're actually being truthful? I highly doubt it's using resources like that.
The statistics only show me in "points" how many resource points are getting used a day, and support tells me they don't have a way to show me which pages/plugins/anything is actually using which "resource points" out of the allotted 250 points per day.

I get an error at the bottom of my screens now saying:
403 Permission Denied
You do not have permission for this request /pm.php

But aside from that I don't see any errors when composing/sending/reading a PM. Is there perhaps a plugin that uses that page? Upon further checking I did notice I don't get instantly notified when a NEW pm arrives (on my screen) so maybe the notifier is what got disabled? I'm not exactly sure how to verify where pm.php came from or anything... Would it make sense to assume the notifier at the top of the page was causing huge amounts of resources to be used?
(2013-02-27, 06:11 AM)CheckingThis Wrote: [ -> ]The statistics only show me in "points" how many resource points are getting used a day, and support tells me they don't have a way to show me which pages/plugins/anything is actually using which "resource points" out of the allotted 250 points per day.

I get an error at the bottom of my screens now saying:
403 Permission Denied
You do not have permission for this request /pm.php

But aside from that I don't see any errors when composing/sending/reading a PM. Is there perhaps a plugin that uses that page? Upon further checking I did notice I don't get instantly notified when a NEW pm arrives (on my screen) so maybe the notifier is what got disabled? I'm not exactly sure how to verify where pm.php came from or anything... Would it make sense to assume the notifier at the top of the page was causing huge amounts of resources to be used?

Highly unlikely, you use more resources looking at forumdisplay.php than a private message notification. No clue, see if they can give you the usage statistics for that file, see if they're trying to screw you out of money.