MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Using Google SEO - Do I need to set metatags?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am using Google SEO on my forum. I know it has an feature that should generated meta tags based on the current page's content. But, if I run the page through a metatag analyzer tool, I have no tags and no description. Do I have to manually set them?

Thanks
Honestly, the keywords are quite useless, Google doesn't care about them. But other search engines might. Unsure if you have to manually set them though. You might, I'll look into Google SEO soon (I feel like installing it myself ^_^) and let you know how I got it working.

About Google's Keyword Usage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=jK7IPbnmvVU
I've set them. I hope they don't harm my SEO in any way.
Thanks for your input.
Oh, they wont harm SEO in any way what-so-ever. It just wont help that much. Google, as stated by them themselves. But it might be useful for other search providers too. Bing uses it too, but not sure how much of a boost in SEO the keywords actually will provide.
Avoid using that plugin! It'll only cause you large hassles later when your forum is big.

Google knows how to crawl and index your forum just fine.
(2013-02-27, 12:25 PM)scooby Wrote: [ -> ]I am using Google SEO on my forum. I know it has an feature that should generated meta tags based on the current page's content.

Google SEO sets a meta description based on the content of thread (first post of the page) / announcement / event. For forums it uses the description of the forum (if it has a description set).

It doesn't do anything for index / portal because you can just add it to the index / portal template without using a plugin.