MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: CUPS/Samba
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey y'all,

At my uni we all get free laptops loaded with Windows, and it's all configured with the Windows network printers and network drives. When I'm on Ubuntu I'm unable to access those resources though. Is anyone skilled with CUPS and Samba and would be able to tell me how I could hook up to the network resources?
You tried just using the GUI provided in ubuntu? It's always worked for me with connecting up to networked printers both wirelessly and over ethernet.
Got into the network drives Big Grin

The only issue with printing is that they use a program called Pcounter to limit the number of pages per semester. It doesn't seem to have a native Linux client so I'm out of luck I think :\
Unfortunate. My uni uses a far better system IMO. You queue them to an online site, then have to swipe your passcard on the actual printer you want to use.
(2013-03-01, 08:16 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunate. My uni uses a far better system IMO. You queue them to an online site, then have to swipe your passcard on the actual printer you want to use.

Pcounter has a linux server for the printer itself but not a linux client, I'm sad Sad
(2013-03-01, 08:21 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-01, 08:16 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunate. My uni uses a far better system IMO. You queue them to an online site, then have to swipe your passcard on the actual printer you want to use.

Pcounter has a linux server for the printer itself but not a linux client, I'm sad Sad

Wine? Toungue

Funny, my school uses a better system than that: PaperCut. Basically, you buy printer credits in bulk and each print costs 1 credit. Great way for the school to have a secondary source of income, too.

It's also an online client as opposed to a native program.
Similar system here. You buy credits at the library, credits are attached to your account which you access by swiping your pass card (which you use to enter any lecture hall or computer lab on campus) on the printer's panel. Means you can use any printer on campus and use your credits Smile