MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What have you done?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well I seen recently that a successful mybb site got hacked and I hope everything works out for the owner by the way, and he said he would be taking legal action against the hackers. I am glad to see this and I hope he makes some progress with this.

I have been hacked myself and there was not much to do other then set stuff back up again.

Just wondering if any of you guys have had your site hacked and what you did or what can be done afterwards.
Stop selling illegal content on your forum, that might be a start.
(2013-03-05, 11:15 AM)Jambuster Wrote: [ -> ]Stop selling illegal content on your forum, that might be a start.

Irrelevant to what OP asked. People doesn't hack sites based on their content. They hack sites just to show off.

My forums never got hacked when i used to run them. But my blog(Wordpress) once got hacked. That's just a test install with no content, so i just deleted the old one and reinstalled. The hack was due to a vulnerability in the version i run.
People who deal with illegal content on their forums dont get support here as far as I'm aware. My post was relevant to the OP's question. Maybe its the authors of the content that hes providing that's attacking his site. Thats wrong too but its a strong possibility.
(2013-03-05, 01:04 PM)Jambuster Wrote: [ -> ]People who deal with illegal content on their forums dont get support here as far as I'm aware. My post was relevant to the OP's question. Maybe its the authors of the content that hes providing that's attacking his site. Thats wrong too but its a strong possibility.

Well, you do have a valid point which occurs many times. Smile
But most of the time when people say their forum is hacked, their site has no illegal content in them.
I have been hacked I think 2 or 3 times. What I did was cleanse the forum. Checked against all the plugins. Got rid of some that I don't need. And then paid Yaldaram to go through the PHP code of the plugins to make sure it was good.

What site was it that got hacked?
It is rarely due to illegal content, from my experience anyway.
Thankfully none of my websites has been hacked though I do keep regular backups of all my accounts in case one day that happens.

I'd say ensure you have backups of your website and when ever you hacked actually check logs among other things to see what the hackers got away with and take actions based on.

For the average website owner taking the hackers to court etc... is simply not a viable option Wink.
I've never had a website hacked by a random person. Most people who 'hack' the sites were people who took advantage of my ignorance when I was, well, more ignorant than I am now.
It's incredibly hard to take action against any 'hacker', and I highly doubt the forum owner who was hacked recently will have any success going after the culprit. You just need to learn from the mistake, tighten up your forum security, and then move on.
Pages: 1 2