MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Site was hacked, how to restore
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My site was recently hacked, the attacker only changed all the code in my index.php to their deface page.

So basically I have a full site but with no index. Now my index is custom as I built the theme myself.

Luckily I took a full backup of my cPanel and MyBB a few hours before it was hacked.

Is it possible to simply restore my index.php or just get the code so I can paste it back in?

I tried restoring the MyBB backup on a local machine but I had problems because it was on my localhost.

Any help would be appreciated.

oh and the hack was my hosts fault, they released my information because the attacker had my DOX. (It's publicly available around the net) . Was not a MyBB exploit.
You can simply upload index.php from a fresh MyBB download.
(2013-03-05, 12:02 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]You can simply upload index.php from a fresh MyBB download.

I thought about doing that but I wasn't sure if all mods to index.php were made in templates or if some carried across to actually modifying index.php
Unless you have modified index.php itself there shouldn't be any issue. MyBB doesn't modify core files, data is stored in the database.
(2013-03-05, 12:10 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Unless you have modified index.php itself there shouldn't be any issue. MyBB doesn't modify core files, data is stored in the database.

Yup, I just downloaded a fresh copy and uploaded the index.php - Everything works great, thanks!