MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Pretty discouraging
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm new to myBB and set it up a few days ago. I obtained reCaptcha keys and entered them. Then today I come home to find a number of new registered users and a bunch of postings in the forum.

I've now set my board to admin approval. I see a section for different spam plugin's.

I went through the configuration again to check about having to approve postings for new users. I thought I saw it at one spot but couldn't find it.

I don't know why forum software seems to be a target for this kind of junk.

I'll climb down off of my soap box now.

Dan
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Why not just follow the advice in the plugins thread?
Forum spam has been around just as long as forums have. If you search the forums you'll find many threads and resources to help combat spam.
(2013-03-06, 08:58 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand what you're trying to say. Why not just follow the advice in the plugins thread?

Hello,

What I'm trying to say, is it is a little discouraging that we have to take extra steps to combat spam in the forum.

Dan
It's an inevitability of every forum software. Running a forum is not turnkey. Administration is work.

I hope we'll see more spam controls baked into future versions of MyBB, but there are more than adequate solutions available right now.
(2013-03-06, 09:04 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Forum spam has been around just as long as forums have. If you search the forums you'll find many threads and resources to help combat spam.

Hello,

Thanks, I'll be checking those out. For now things will stay on administrator approval.

Dan
(2013-03-06, 11:01 PM)Dan_Westlake Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-06, 08:58 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand what you're trying to say. Why not just follow the advice in the plugins thread?

Hello,

What I'm trying to say, is it is a little discouraging that we have to take extra steps to combat spam in the forum.

Dan

Spam is a huge issue, people like to tackle it in different ways. Pre-building spam protection into MyBB would be a bad thing, in my opinion at least, because it would not let people have the flexibility to protect against spam in their own way.

But really, if it is that much of a deal to install a couple of plugins, you shouldn't be running a forum. Forums take a lot of work and dedication.

If there were to be spam protection built in, it would have to be something that can altered and possibly disabled if need be.
(2013-03-06, 11:01 PM)Dan_Westlake Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

Dan

Well, everyone does, using any forum software. If you can't deal with something like that, forum management isn't for you. Don't get discouraged just because of that. Wink
(2013-03-06, 11:03 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]It's an inevitability of every forum software. Running a forum is not turnkey. Administration is work.

I hope we'll see more spam controls baked into future versions of MyBB, but there are more than adequate solutions available right now.

We have a few things in the pipeline to help combat spam. 1.8 should hopefully be a major turning point.
Quote:We have a few things in the pipeline to help combat spam. 1.8 should hopefully be a major turning point.

I like the sound of that! Big Grin

Hi Dan, Yet to download and set up my two intended forums using MyBB, but I've built and admin'ed and moderated on a number of other forums and, yes, the world is full of morons and rude people and they don't make exceptions in their behaviour as far as forums is concerned. Unfortunately.

And yes, as the others have said, administrating a forum is a lot of "fun". I'm more than happy to "plug-in" a forum to death if it acheives an improved functionality, but I guess there will always be those out there that want a safe and function forum without having to know too much about what is under the bonnet - but then you need to know a certain amount to provide assistance to your members etc (unless you have a "tech head Toungue) Mod - but then you have to give the Mod admin accesss etc etc...

But don't loose heart and good luck with your forum you have set up

Kind regards
Colin M
Pages: 1 2