MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: mysql data files on NAS drive/mount?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
.Any reason to not have MySQL files on a NAS drive for a very big site? The drive will be in fstab so it mounts on reboot. It's a "private network" drive from SoftLayer if anyone is familiar with that setup. I just want to make sure its secure and reliable.
The only thing I can see is how big is the ping and what's the connection like? If you're putting a lot of queries across, why use a NAS? Surely a local HDD would be faster access?
the particular setup i am trying to correct has two 140GB drives and a 80GB NAS. The NAS is mounted via fstab. The sites on the server are 3 small sites and one very large site. The backups take several hours and are approx 40GB so the NAS can store one daily backup and possibly a weekly before filling up. Though given how the backups work, likely one daily only since it copies the site data then compresses it resulting in duplicate data for a little while.

Given the size and how busy the big board is the I/O can be optimized by offloading the SQL data to the second drive from the main drive the OS/logging/webpages are pulled from. Its just that the backups wont fit on the NAS so they need the second drive. They are already paying for the NAS so I figured it would work for the SQL files.

I suppose it can't be any slower than a remote SQL setup. Client's concern is security and reliability as well

Nevermind. I found out that the NAS solution from Softlayer is a shared device and not dedicated. Throughput is unreliable for SQL.

I need to work out another solution for the client.