MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: EU fines Microsoft $731 million all over a broken promise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2013-03-07, 02:36 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Google is under serious anti-trust investigations, actually. These allegations against Microsoft are mostly based on investigations from quite a while ago. People are quick to forget Microsoft's dark past.

Either way, Microsoft made an agreement and broke it. Microsoft seems OK with the outcome.

(Also, I'm not referring to a partnership with IBM – there was a point when Mac "clones" were rampant)

True, but I believe it was after Steve Jobs had quit. Once he came back, the "clone" idea was suspended.

In a sense, I agree that Microsoft had a agreement/promise and broke it. Does it require they get charged almost 3/4 of a billion dollars, I don't know. Just seems a bit excessive.
(2013-03-07, 03:38 PM)Init Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-07, 02:36 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]Google is under serious anti-trust investigations, actually. These allegations against Microsoft are mostly based on investigations from quite a while ago. People are quick to forget Microsoft's dark past.

Either way, Microsoft made an agreement and broke it. Microsoft seems OK with the outcome.

(Also, I'm not referring to a partnership with IBM – there was a point when Mac "clones" were rampant)

True, but I believe it was after Steve Jobs had quit. Once he came back, the "clone" idea was suspended.

In a sense, I agree that Microsoft had a agreement/promise and broke it. Does it require they get charged almost 3/4 of a billion dollars, I don't know. Just seems a bit excessive.

The fine is based on the number of users that did not see the browser choice window. Though I agree, the fine does appear a little harsh considering the circumstances.
but ie isn't even that bad now
This all stems from lobbying by competition. This is really corporate blackmail. EU gets nearly a billion dollars, lawyers get millions, and the competition gets a laugh.
(2013-03-09, 12:16 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]This all stems from lobbying by competition.

[citation needed]
Pages: 1 2