MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Error Message When Editing Forum Permissions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This error does not occur on any other software running, nor when I make any other changes to myBB (Users, Announcements, Templates, Plugins).

I have done my googling and all the answers were some server error occured, but they were affected globally. This is only sub-forum and category editing. There is also nothing in the error_log, I even wiped it and recreated the error multiple times. There is nothing regarding this error in my server log either, I checked before and after forcing a repeat error and the log was not updated.

Anyone know wth is going on?

Extra info: I did 4 new sub-forums back to back, 1-3 worked fine, 4 flunked and now the error persists when trying to alter sub-forums
Someone suggested it might be exceeding the maximum limit the first forums?
Alright so I deleted a few excess forums and a few excess groups and this did not solve the problem. However I did notice that deleting a group also gave the 500 server error [because it removes permissions from each forum?].

I really need to get this fixed because it is crippling our website

Update: Further information of relevance: I created a second myBB installation on the same server and it does not suffer from the same issue. Therefore it is a myBB error and not server
24 Hour Bump - as per rules

Additional Info: Hosting company has replicated the issue using login credentials I gave them and found no corresponding apache or php fault. Problem is insular to this one myBB install
Your 3rd post makes this seem like there's some weird problem here with your PHP or server or something. Deleting a group should not cause a permission problem in your forums unless the group permissions were not removed properly during execution of the group delete. For uber wierdness that is unfixable I've taken my database and plugins, did a new installation of MyBB with a better host, and restored my database to the new installation.. NOW I'M NOT SUGGESTING YOU DO THIS.. I'm only sharing that it's a last resort option you COULD do. Whenever there's issues like this... I find a better host because it is not MyBB if all the core files are unchanged and plugins good.
You can also temporarily disable all plugins to see if problem persists but doing so may delete cache data your plugins might use... for example who downloaded this erases the who downloaded this data every time it's disabled. A small annoyance. In any event I'd try disabling plugins AFTER making sure no core files where altered.
Repair and optimize your database. Post back if that doesn't fix your problem.
I don't think it's a plugin because there hasn't been any changes for 2 weeks. Our host found an error with a script plugin we wrote, was failing to poll Steam and XBL properly but other than that no error with PHP, VPS or Apache. However that plugin theoretically has no effect on group permissions, only displayed profiles. As I said, the problem appeared between during a batch of forum creation {3 successful, 4th 500 error} and there were no group or plugin changes within a week of that day. Hence my complete bafflement

I tried optimizing all databases to no effect, I see no repair option?

Thank you for your replies so far

I have since tried cycling all the plugins I can. The remainder I don't want to turn off because if we lost their data we would be sunk. I've also been told that the only errors our hosting company found referred to a plugin who's malfunctioning operation was running as a shell script and he doesn't think it's causing the permission error for the forums (the plugin still operates, it's just a few users it fails to poll)

I did some further testing: I can create new groups and clone existing permissions from other groups, and I can create new forums. The issue is purely confined to the altering of permissions, it gives the 500 error and does not save the changes to permissions. When I delete a group it gives the 500 error, but then deletes the group.

I've been told that everytime I change a permission it rewrites the permissions for every forum and every group via an SQL queury. I was wondering if there could be a borked permission in the database that is causing this error, probably created by the first failed forum alteration? If so how would I repair it
I have PC access again (PSU blewout) so bump!
Bump - this is still occuring and crippling out ability to add new subforums