MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to run two MyBB forums off same DB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've completely inherited a forum community and want to attach a second installation with different forums and threads but with the same user credentials. I assume it's possible, even if core edits are needed but, how can I have two installations on two different table prefixes in the same database BUT have both of them share just the user tables? So one of them would have to use a different prefix for just it's user tables. Is there a better way to do this?

The goal is to keep things organized and stupid simple for users...
Login ONCE and access 2 different genres of content.
Similiar I guess to what Envato.com does with it's forums... each envato site shares login details but posts and threads are separate in each.

thank you.
It would require core edits. The only thing I could think of is hard coding the user tables to be from only one of the forums. But, you have to make sure you get it all.
So doing a core edit of all the sister installations should do it?
You think I could hire anyone to do github commits for this?
If so who would you recommend?
I'm not qualified in PHP and SQL enough to do this myself.
Also.. lol.. what would this kind of work be worth to you? <-- just want some perspective

Thanks Alex! Smile
I'm not confident enough in my php/mysql understanding to do this honestly. I'm great with concepts and theory but horrible with implementation Toungue.

If you're willing to pay basically any major plugin developer would be good(they may have a better way of doing it even since they know the code of mybb better than me). I would also look at some the people who run/develop for the multiforum sites since some of those only use one database.
From my experience, you can use another table for your MySQL. Another way will be resulf of complains database.
@UpReseller, seems to be some typos in your post.. I'm not following what you meant? Could you expound on what you meant a little more please?
Sometimes the host will limit 1 MySQL for your account. When you reach this problem, just creat two board on another location with same database and username, but use another prefix. Smile

@Sorry for some typos, just because another guy posted it!
That's not what he was asking. He wants to have the user table shared between 2 boards. This can only be done with core edits, or a plugin. You'd have to edit both, perhaps. You would also have to take into account that editing options in the UCP would have to edit the user table on the correct board.

You might be better making a plugin that emulates facebook logins or OAuth logins. Not sure how though :/
not really possible without massive core edits. think about what data is
stored in the user table. number of posts, number of PMs, last visit,
plus custom plugin fields. all these hold data specific to a forum. if
you click "find all posts by user" it would only returns the posts for
that board but the user would show more posts than what was returned.

if a user gets sent a PM, that is board specific. when a user visits a
page, the sessions are per board, etc.

you should consider a plugin to sync user tables upon registration,
profile update, login, logout or a plugin that splits a board by
subdomain (which I started a couple years ago but never finished). This
would hid forums and categories based on the subdomain, including the
list of searchable forums, and basically makes it like two separate
forums but actually the same.

there is a beta version of that plugin I shared. it's posted here
somewhere.
This just isn't worth the trouble.

The only recommendation I can give you is to create cname DNS entries to the forumdisplay. Have each forum use a different theme. Then alter the breadcrumb so index isn't used.

No matter what route you take though MyBB will not be friendly for sharing one user table across multiple forums and it's not really worth it anyways to do it.
Pages: 1 2