MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What is the Best Paid Forum Software?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Invision Power Board
(2013-03-26, 02:18 AM)VinceL Wrote: [ -> ]None. Paying, in the sense contributing to a free, open-source software can make it improve, and come to the quality of the paid forum softwares, if not, higher!

Not really. Paid softwares explore more complex features that free softwares don't always get. For example facebook connect and such still are wonky on MyBB.
The advantage of paid software is that people can be held accountable. Can't complain much about 1.8's delay since it's a free project, but if I was paying for it, I'd have leverage.
(2013-03-26, 05:20 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]The advantage of paid software is that people can be held accountable. Can't complain much about 1.8's delay since it's a free project, but if I was paying for it, I'd have leverage.

Not really if mybb was a commercial software and 1.8 wasn't ready they wouldn't release it just because it's a commercial software - you would.have to wait like every other paid customer.
Yeah, except there would be a lot more incentive to work on it – they don't get paid if they don't release it.
(2013-03-11, 05:43 PM)ElectricShock Wrote: [ -> ]Xenforo feels great for me.

vBulletin is something that just cannot stay on my localhost for more than a week, I eliminate it anyway.

IPB uses resources too much.

Xenforo is great, its lightweight, modern and everything. Just the ACP has some weird icons.

I found a different story where IPB used very little resources compared to other forum software I tested with xenforo using the least resources

These were default \ fresh installs with default themes and plugins \ extensions
(2013-03-26, 05:11 PM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-26, 02:18 AM)VinceL Wrote: [ -> ]None. Paying, in the sense contributing to a free, open-source software can make it improve, and come to the quality of the paid forum softwares, if not, higher!

Not really. Paid softwares explore more complex features that free softwares don't always get. For example facebook connect and such still are wonky on MyBB.

Yes, but they have the chance to. Even our developers can explore more complex features, but since they are already consumed with the next release development, bug fixes, etc. they can't catch up with other paid softwares.

MyBB is just 3/4th of IPB, IMHO!
Really the only difference with an established commercial software and a.free one is the developers are paid and generally full time so things can move on more easily and quickly.

Free ones like mybb leverage off of volunteers and their free time

A free software can have as many or more features than a commercial software
(2013-03-28, 05:12 PM)Alex - Arvixe Wrote: [ -> ]Really the only difference with an established commercial software and a.free one is the developers are paid and generally full time so things can move on more easily and quickly.

Free ones like mybb leverage off of volunteers and their free time

A free software can have as many or more features than a commercial software

True, that's why we have to literally pay for those. If the developers had a feeling to catch up with paid softwares, then the clients don't see a reason why they have to pay so much whereas there is a software as same as those, only free.
Recently, paid software took huge leaps forward. Free software couldn't keep up with the acceleration of features.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6