MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Default Theme variations - member select
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Perhaps this is already implemented and I cannot find the setting to turn it on.

The colour variations of the default theme are an excellent progressive solution to theming and could grant members fantastic freedom of sorts with regard to theme choice.

How do we set it so the colour variants of the default theme are accessible from the user options settings in user profiles?

If this is not a function yet could be included please, it would be a great addition for member choice once 1.8 is ready. Wink

Thanks for listening. Smile
If you're referring to attachable base colors, it would need a custom plugin. The logic behind attachable base colors is to allow designers to create a single theme which has multiple color variations. An example of this would be the Apart Series or the Accord Series. Initially when Tomm implemented this feature I thought allowing user/forum choice of attachable base colors might be a good idea but it would likely shift the complexity to the administrator and instead of removing it completely. A plugin for this would be simple to create if it's a must for certain administrators to have.
edited.....

I see what you're saying now, okay, will have to see if I can figure out how to do that as a Plugin, should prove interesting, never tried writing one before. Smile
Another way to allow users to select the different colors is by creating child themes of the primary theme. When you create a child theme, everything is inherited from its parent except what is customized: all you would have to do, then, is change the color style for the child theme. Everything else about the theme would be the same.

I wrote a pretty in-depth post on how the color changing works here:
http://community.mybb.com/thread-119751-...#pid866163
Thank you Justin, a simple yet effective method whilst also removing any need for writing a plugin, why this didn't occur to me is another matter. Smile

Thanks for the link, a most informative post it is too, I shall use this extensively when 1.8 is ready for use on live sites, thank you. Smile