MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB and Yii
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
Iam writing a piece of simple forum and I see at the time I have no enough time and resource to finish it on time so you guess it....I decided to pause and look for opensource alternative. My Site is using Yii and I would not like to have several user tables (the very reason I wanted to write my own). I heard in Past that mybb2 was considering Yii but then it dies natural death.

My questions now are:
  • will Mybb head that direction?
  • Should I use, if I decide to, MyBB 1.6, 1.8 or wait for 2.0?
  • How does MyBB integrate its login system with custom system?

Thanks!
If your site is primarily only a forum, you may use MyBB and make everything else use MyBB's user table. It does not work well in the other direction, since everything within MyBB expects the table to be there and look like MyBB's table.

So either use MyBB's table or find a way to sync accounts across multiple tables.
Waiting for 2.0 isn't really an option as it's still several years off. Plus we're not 100% set on using Yii.

I would personally go with MyBB 1.6. 1.8 isn't too far off and there'll be a straight upgrade process.
(2013-03-14, 11:10 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]Waiting for 2.0 isn't really an option as it's still several years off. Plus we're not 100% set on using Yii.

Wait, several years? Undecided
2.0 is, yes. We've stated it several times. Don't be expecting 2.0 any time soon. 1.8 is the milestone we're currently focused on.
Ok, So you mean I should change my login system to use mybb table? Can anyone here help me to understand login mechanism by MyBB so that I can see how I can make two work together?

(2013-03-14, 10:33 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]If your site is primarily only a forum, you may use MyBB and make everything else use MyBB's user table. It does not work well in the other direction, since everything within MyBB expects the table to be there and look like MyBB's table.

So either use MyBB's table or find a way to sync accounts across multiple tables.
Using MyBB table is better option I think but I would still want to use my own login system that is compartible with MyBB's, that is when user logs in my site and changes link to forum, he will be accepted as a logged in user.
A good set point for 2.0 would be around 2 years after 1.8 is released, taking into consideration that it is an entirely new piece of software that the volunteers here would be making. It is looking awesome though (and it will have bells and whistles you would expect from a forum system).

It is looking increasingly unlikely that we will be using Yii.
(2013-03-15, 09:19 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]A good set point for 2.0 would be around 2 years after 1.8 is released, taking into consideration that it is an entirely new piece of software that the volunteers here would be making. It is looking awesome though (and it will have bells and whistles you would expect from a forum system).

It is looking increasingly unlikely that we will be using Yii.
How does mybb does the login?