MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: No Idea What Happened
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there guys!

One of my hostees using MyBB (this site) has encountered a rather unusual situation in that after moving one thread to a different location, a while later, their forum index went white and started to show characters and numbers. They've not done anything recently to it in the cpanel or the admin cp and this happened when they were all offline.

My tech support and I are of the belief that a restore should fix it, but I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem, what they did to resolve it, or if anyone knows the cause for it? I don't know if they had any mods installed so I don't know if that could have caused it.
Sounds like a PHP ob_start issue or something of the sort if it wasn't random symbols.
If it was just a CSS load error you'd at least see hints of HTML elements.
But if it looked like a nightmare of ASCII codes then I have no idea.
It might not have anything to do with moving a thread btw...
sometimes it's something related to the action that's causing it that's not supposed to be there.
Does it repeat when all plugins are disabled?
What PHP version are you running?
Thanks for replying!

It does the same when the plugins are disabled. PHP of the MyBB software? It should be the latest version (1.6.9 I think).
PHP version can be checked in your cPanel home.

It has to be v5.3. v5.4 seems to be messing up 1.6.9, its scheduled to be fixed in MyBB 1.6.10
Thanks Smile

The PHP on that server is 5.3.19, and the others using MyBB on it aren't having the same problem.

The more I and the techs dig into it, the more it looks like the client may have fiddled with something and decided not to say what they fiddled with. Do you guys think that if the MyBB installation was uninstalled, then reinstalled, it would fix the problem?
Unless he has a latest database backup to start with, uninstallation should not be attempted.

Alternatively, you can ask him to reupload index.php and the "inc" folder