MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mybb AJAX RSS Spy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As some have requested...this isn't feature rich but it took me a long time to get this to work right. It's a pure plugin with no core file change.  

DEMO: http://www.mybbcentral.com/spy.php

Download Plugin

This was probably my hardest plugin so far.  I am very weak with javascript and this was really hard to get working in all browsers.  Fully tested in Firefox, Opera, and IE6.  Please let me know if you have a problem.

Thank you and enjoy.
Sorry, but what does this actually do? o.o Is it just a "latest posts" kind of thing?
Yes however they appear right before your eyes - you don't need to refresh the page at all.

Digg has a version of this called Digg Spy, http://digg.com/spy

labrocca, you should take a look at the Javascript included with MyBB including moo.ajax.js for your ajax requests, prototype.js for a lot of general related JS functions and moo.fx.js which can handle fading in/out of items. You should be able to reduce your code to something around 15 lines and not add any additional loading time.

Excellent work though - it's a cool feature.
Agreed. This would work great for people who wish to use it in their sites! I'll probably use this on my site
Yeah this is mostly handy for this with large active sites.

Thanks guys.

And dang Chris...wish I had know...I am total crap with javascript but I managed to get this one done after many hours of trial and error. IE gave me BIG problems. I pretty much hacked a couple tutorials out there to get this to work. moo.ajax.js wouldn't have helped my newbiness too much.
is it supposed to say done every time it refreshes?
is their a way to do this without having so many calls to the server?
Thanks for doing this!
turpentine Wrote:is it supposed to say done every time it refreshes?
is their a way to do this without having so many calls to the server?

You can change time between calls to whatever like. It's in the admincp settings.

You can also create your own RSS from the syndication page if you wish to change the limit or the forums it pulls from.