MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: search suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For 1.8, I think you guys should add the option to do a regular site search, but also enable it to use a 3rd party search like Google, for ex:
inurl:{$sitedomain} intext: {$searchvalue}
Why would you need to search a domain that isn't the forum?
The search system is almost fine how it is, just might need a bit of improvement. A third party like google is not needed. I'm not even sure a plugin for this would be useful.
JordanMussi: Because, what if you wanted to search more then just the forum?
Then use google or another search engine. The search feature in MyBB, is to search the forum.
I understand, but I'm talking about if you have like a CMS, Forum, Blog. Just so you have one generalized search system.
Yes but the MyBB search function is only ever going to search MyBB.
As we don't and won't provide anything but a forum system it's not something which we'd implement in to the core.
(2013-03-21, 03:42 PM)JordanMussi Wrote: [ -> ]Yes but the MyBB search function is only ever going to search MyBB.

Exactly.

(2013-03-21, 12:28 PM)stalls Wrote: [ -> ]I understand, but I'm talking about if you have like a CMS, Forum, Blog. Just so you have one generalized search system.

It sounds like a nice idea and I'm sure many big websites do this, but it'd require some work by someone to do. Each CMS has their own way of storing and searching the data, then you need to present it all in a single format. As a developer... please no.