MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Do you allow affiliate links?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am a member of several different forums with different rules. I am a few days away from taking my first MyBB site live and am trying to finalize the rules.

Do you guys allow affiliate or referral links on your boards? Please tell me why you chose the way you did.
I don't allow any type of advertisement on my forum unless it's through the appropriate channels. This also includes links to guild pages that are within my forum. If there's a chance of being bombarded with this type of stuff, I just won't allow it in the first place.

That's not to confuse things that can generate a decent discussion, so there are obviously exceptions. If you're talking about something like, let's say shoes, then linking to various places with shoes is completely fine in my eyes. In this case I'll probably even allow referral links as long as the person dropping the link is actively contributing to the topic and not simply posting "hey, check out these shoes here *link*".

So it really depends. I like to give people leeway as long as they're contributing. If the person is there simply to link drop, then it's not going to happen.
Tecca that pretty much summarizes what I believe. I know it when I see it but defining it can be a bear.

As I will have specific areas where advertising is allowed, I am inclined to allow them there but not in signatures.
(2013-03-17, 10:54 PM)Colbyt Wrote: [ -> ]I am a member of several different forums with different rules. I am a few days away from taking my first MyBB site live and am trying to finalize the rules.

Do you guys allow affiliate or referral links on your boards? Please tell me why you chose the way you did.

I have the same concern, may I share this thread?
(2013-03-20, 09:07 AM)lincon9 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-17, 10:54 PM)Colbyt Wrote: [ -> ]I am a member of several different forums with different rules. I am a few days away from taking my first MyBB site live and am trying to finalize the rules.

I have the same concern, may I share this thread?

Its an open community with open discussions, of course!

I wouldn't recommend allowing affiliate links, it simply will just encourage spam from people who are trying to make a quick buck. It will also make people "pretend" to represent a company officially when they don't which isn't really good.